Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Should Felons own Firearms? >

Should Felons own Firearms?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Should Felons own Firearms?

Old 01-23-2008, 08:17 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Should Felons own Firearms?

So now you are resorting to name calling?? Not very Christian like of you. But that' OK I don't take offense to it, I am much bigger than that.
ORIGINAL: bigcountry

ORIGINAL: Tuco

Plus, most of our prisons are filled with repeat offenders. I know people can change, a very dear friend of mine used to rob drug stores in Texas back in the early '70's.He got caught done his time for armed robbery and has not been in trouble since. But he and I both agree he does not deserve the right to own a firearm ever again, he gave up that right by committing the crimes he did.
What are you freakin talking about??? Homer, he robbed drug stores. Homer, we are not discussing that. Have you not read any of this thread?
Old 01-23-2008, 08:58 AM
Spike

when people do crimes knowing that if they get caught they will lose there rights and still do them, then it was there choice to gamble and lose there rights!
i know if i drink and drive i could lose my right to drive so i dont drink and drive.
people have choices. if u choose to chop off a finger, u cant glue it back on after u realize u need it!! u must live without it!!
if someone is not responsable enough toNOT lose his rights to bare arms the they are not responsable enough to own a gun!!
one of my nephews got caught rightin bad checks and is now a felon. cant own a gun now which is fine with me!!! he knew he would loose his rights if he got caught! but still did it because he aint got enough brains and made the wrong choices. now he want to own a gun so he can hunt! too bad!!! he cant make the right choice with a pen, so how can he be trusted tomake the right choice with a gun?
Old 01-23-2008, 09:37 AM
bigcountry

So now you are resorting to name calling?? Not very Christian like of you. But that' OK I don't take offense to it, I am much bigger than that.

Plus, most of our prisons are filled with repeat offenders. I know people can change, a very dear friend of mine used to rob drug stores in Texas back in the early '70's.He got caught done his time for armed robbery and has not been in trouble since. But he and I both agree he does not deserve the right to own a firearm ever again, he gave up that right by committing the crimes he did.
What are you freakin talking about??? Homer, he robbed drug stores. Homer, we are not discussing that. Have you not read any of this thread?
Oh come on man, if you really get your feelings tore up and start feeling victimized when someone referres to you as a generic term like homer, you have some serious phychological issues and may need a hug from your counceler. Are you saying your this type of guy? And no, your not bigger than that, or you wouldn't have brought it up. Think about it.

Old 01-23-2008, 09:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm somewhat on the fence on this issue, but one thing I'm suprised at is that no one has brought up that someone convicted of felony DUI after a certain number of years can get their drivers license back and could be behind the wheel of a loaded semi-truck but they can't legally buy a gun ever.

I also think that most convicted felons who are going to repeat a violent offense could easily get a gun illegally.

Old 01-23-2008, 10:09 AM
Typical Buck

Hey, it was a light hearted jab of humor, with a touch of sarcasm, I meant no offense. If I may quote Srg. Hulka from the movie Stripes "Lighten up Francis". This thread is based on ones opinion and nothing more. Everyone thinks their opinion is right. Now about that hug....are you offering??

Oh come on man, if you really get your feelings tore up and start feeling victimized when someone referres to you as a generic term like homer, you have some serious phychological issues and may need a hug from your counceler. Are you saying your this type of guy? And no, your not bigger than that, or you wouldn't have brought it up. Think about it.
Old 01-23-2008, 10:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: npaden

I'm somewhat on the fence on this issue, but one thing I'm suprised at is that no one has brought up that someone convicted of felony DUI after a certain number of years can get their drivers license back and could be behind the wheel of a loaded semi-truck but they can't legally buy a gun ever.

I also think that most convicted felons who are going to repeat a violent offense could easily get a gun illegally.

Great point! Anyone can pick up a gun on the streets. If a person wants to coomitt a crime with a gun he wouldn't have to look to hard to find one. Bigcountry is talking about non-violent offenders that did something stupid. I have to agree with him on the fact that a lot of us, or most of us, or maybe even all of us, were lucky and didn't get caught in our stupid days. I've seen enough of bigcountry on here to know very well he would not be for any unstable person to be given a gun. He's talking about people who have proven that they have changed and were non-viloent to begin with. AGAIN, I WILL SAY, IT NEEDS TO BE ON A CASE BY CASE BASIS. I'm sure nobody here would vote for mass murder to be given a gun!
Old 01-23-2008, 10:16 AM
Typical Buck

My problem with the case by case basis is who decides?? Look at some of the people some of the judges are letting go on little or no bail now. The buddy system could come into play along with personal "feelings" a person has that day. Like I said before, our system is not perfect but it is the best there is.
ORIGINAL: Colorado Luckydog

ORIGINAL: npaden

Great point! Anyone can pick up a gun on the streets. If a person wants to coomitt a crime with a gun he wouldn't have to look to hard to find one. Bigcountry is talking about non-violent offenders that did something stupid. I have to agree with him on the fact that a lot of us, or most of us, or maybe even all of us, were lucky and didn't get caught in our stupid days. I've seen enough of bigcountry on here to know very well he would not be for any unstable person to be given a gun. He's talking about people who have proven that they have changed and were non-viloent to begin with. AGAIN, I WILL SAY, IT NEEDS TO BE ON A CASE BY CASE BASIS. I'm sure nobody here would vote for mass murder to be given a gun!
Old 01-23-2008, 10:17 AM
bigcountry

Hey, it was a light hearted jab of humor, with a touch of sarcasm, I meant no offense. If I may quote Srg. Hulka from the movie Stripes "Lighten up Francis". This thread is based on ones opinion and nothing more. Everyone thinks their opinion is right. Now about that hug....are you offering??
Good, I was worried there. Anyone with a forum name like tuco, should not be that sensitive. I sure didn't mean to hurt you with homer. Its just a generic name I call my friends if they are having a homer moment.

Old 01-23-2008, 10:26 AM
Typical Buck

I guess we are "friends" then???? I am starting to get emotional and tear up.

Good, I was worried there. Anyone with a forum name like tuco, should not be that sensitive. I sure didn't mean to hurt you with homer. Its just a generic name I call my friends if they are having a homer moment.
Old 01-23-2008, 11:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have mixed emotions on this issue because I had a father who was in law enforcement for 33 years, and I have an uncle who spent a lot of time in prison when he was younger for armed robbery, etc... My uncle made a mistake a few years back of hunting with a firearm and having pictures of some of the animals (with the firearm in the picture). He showed it to a "friend" who promptly turned him in. He spent six months at a halfway house at night....fortunately he was able to run his business (legitimate)during the day. He has stayed clean and continues to run his business, and the children that he has have all turned out good and are well educated. I would trust him with a firearm, even though he felon.

I also have a step nephew who isa two time loser (drugs) that, in his second arrest, had a firearm that my stepfather had given him (he wasn't using it at the time...they found it in his apartment). I wouldn't trust him with a firearm.

I think it needs be looked at on a case by case basis. Just because a person was convicted of a non-violent felony doesn't mean he should have access to a firearm, and vice versa.

Quick Reply: Should Felons own Firearms?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.