Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Should Felons own Firearms? >

Should Felons own Firearms?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Should Felons own Firearms?

Old 01-23-2008, 11:16 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Should Felons own Firearms?

If you serve your time and clean up your act you should start over with a clean slate, whether it involve gun ownership or voting rights.
Old 01-23-2008, 11:28 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: Tuco

I guess we are "friends" then????
Of course.

Old 01-23-2008, 11:40 AM

I haven't read all of the posts but I have read most of them. I have to admit I am a bit suprised just how many there are on here who are in support of fellons.
Now the question was asked in a general manner. so generally felons should absolutley NOT be allowed to purchase firearms.but there is something to be said for looking at a situation case by case. it would depend on the nature of the crime commited. if the crime was nonviolent then maybe the person in question could be able to buy a gun. if the crime commited was violent in nature then there is most likley something wrong with the person upstairs and they shouldn't be able to purchasea gun. It should be descided case by case, but generally no they should NOT be allowed to purchase firearms.
the "bad guys" are going to obtainweapons one wayor another so why try to make it easier for them? just my2 cents.
Old 01-23-2008, 02:50 PM
Spike

i believe it should depend on the felony. my best bud has a few felonys from his yonger days of doing stupid things non involving a gun. he doesnt do anythingstupid anymore. he loves to hunt but cant own a gun so when he go's hunting he always barrows a gun.

What i dont understand is PA will let him buy a hunting lisence but not buy a gun!? doesnt make sense.
Old 01-23-2008, 03:19 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: bltrax

i believe it should depend on the felony. my best bud has a few felonys from his yonger days of doing stupid things non involving a gun. he doesnt do anythingstupid anymore. he loves to hunt but cant own a gun so when he go's hunting he always barrows a gun.

What i dont understand is PA will let him buy a hunting lisence but not buy a gun!? doesnt make sense.
I would hate to be the person that loaned a felon a gun if he got caught with it!, ATFE frowns bigtime on that!. As far as a hunting license, he doesnt loose hunting privlages, he just cant do it with a gun.
Old 01-23-2008, 03:44 PM

As far as a felon getting a gun, you really wouldn't have to get one "illegally" or on the black market. All it really means is you can't go into a gun shop and buy a new one because there would be a background check. That does not stop you from buying one from a private party that has not idea what you have done in the past. And here in MI you could buy an inline muzzle loader as well, they don't do background checks on those. Unless it will shoot smokeless powder.

I understand that you would be buying it illegally because you are not allowed to own a gun, but it is not like you are buying a stolen gun from some shady guy in a back alley or something.

And if we are talking about hardened criminals they surely didn't go to Bob's gun store and purchase their weapons legally so it could be registered and everything. They most likely stole it before they robbed the convenience store. If you are going to rob someone with a gun I doubt you are too concerned how you went about getting it, or if you were allowed to have one.

Paul
Old 01-23-2008, 03:56 PM
Fork Horn

Paul, muzzel loaders that can have barrel swaps like the T/C and some of the others like that need a background check also, BATFE caught on to that real quick.
Old 01-23-2008, 05:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Devil Dog ,Can the felon use a Black powder weapon? I had an argument with a guy who said he could use a B/P I told him he could not because it was still a firearm.He still does not believe me .I guess he will find out when he gets caught.
Old 01-23-2008, 06:14 PM
Spike

ORIGINAL: devil dog

ORIGINAL: bltrax

I would hate to be the person that loaned a felon a gun if he got caught with it!, ATFE frowns bigtime on that!. As far as a hunting license, he doesnt loose hunting privlages, he just cant do it with a gun.
yeah im sure ur right but he only handles the gun when the owner is around, so its not like he keeps it, plus his felonys are about 10 years old now, so its not like he's still in trouble from them,eather way that would be their problems not mine.
i just think its dumb that he cant own a gun but can go out and kill with another form of weaponery.

Old 01-23-2008, 06:28 PM
Fork Horn

Definition of a firearm; any weapon "includeing a starter gun" which will or is designed to or may readily be converted to except a projectile by the action of a explosive. So your answer is no, a felon cant own or have in possesiona muzzle loader by definition, he cant even own or posses abullit proof vest, if he wants to hunt, the only thing he can use is a bow.

Quick Reply: Should Felons own Firearms?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.