Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Should Felons own Firearms? >

Should Felons own Firearms?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Should Felons own Firearms?

Old 01-27-2008, 03:13 PM

Default RE: Should Felons own Firearms?

i bought it from a guy fror about 700 less than what it was worth. didn't know him met him through a friend of mine. it is a felony because i has "possession of stolen vehicle" that was the charge. i couldnt deny the charge i had possession of it but i didnt know it was stolen.
Old 01-28-2008, 07:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: mello_collins

Simple awnser. NO
That's a simple answer, all right. But this is NOT a simple question. It is a complex question to which there are no easy answers. And every case is different!
Old 01-28-2008, 11:52 AM

Not all muzzleloaders are firearms (for those of you who say that they are). This is taken straight out of the Texas Parks and Wildlife Outdoor Annual (hunting rules and regs).

Possession of firearms by felons: A convicted felon, regardless of where the conviction occurred, may not possess or use a firearm (as defined by Penal Code, §46.01) to hunt in this state. Under Penal Code, §46.01, a muzzleloading firearm is lawful if it is an antique or curio firearm manufactured before 1899 or a replica of an antique or curio firearm manufactured before 1899 that does not use rimfire or centerfire ammunition.

So to say a convicted felon cannot use a muzzleloader because it is a firearm is not always the case.
Old 01-28-2008, 12:11 PM

ORIGINAL: bltrax

ORIGINAL: sjsfire

bltrax, Sounds like you buddy is a slow learner....."he doesn't do anything stupid anymore"........yeah thats a good one. Borrowing a gun being a felon? Define stupid for us.

when i wrote that i didnt relised it was still illegal for him to borrow a gunfor huntingseeing that he could still get a hunting permit. i guess i really didnt know that much about it.i just thought he couldnt buy a gun or own. it didnt dawn on me that a hunting permit could be used for bow and what not. i only gun hunt and dont think to much about the "other" forms of hunting. i guess u could say i had a tard moment.

i just didnt relize thatusing agun with ahunting permitwas as bad as him owning one. i dont have a felony so idont knowthe full"laws or rules"offelonys, just what i hear. but im gonna relay that message next time i see him, maybe he didnt know or care, i dont know, icant make excuses for himbut eather way thats between him and the gun loaner as to what happens. my hands are clean of that situation and i cant control what other people do.
i do still believe thothat gun ownership with felons should still dependon the felony.
I wouldn't care if I was him, and if he has served his time, more power to him, hope he doesn't get "caught"...

"An unjust law is no law at all..."
Old 01-28-2008, 04:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

Utah won't let felons hunt even with a bow! Nor Nebraska I believe. What about self defense? A felon can't defend his house/family, or walk through grizzly country? I guess there's bear spray, but personally I'd much rather have a rifle.
Old 01-28-2008, 09:44 PM
Banned

Sure, case by case...

Case #1....NO.....Case#2....NO.....Case#3....NO.....