Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 how do you carry ammo >

how do you carry ammo

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

how do you carry ammo

Old 01-19-2008, 08:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: how do you carry ammo

ORIGINAL: jdreddish

Geez, you guys carry alot of ammo.
I load my internal magazine (4 rounds) then close the bolt on an empty chamber until I arrive at my location. If I can't get it done w/ 4 rounds then I don't deserve to be in the woods.
I guess you are assuming he is deer hunting....He just asked how we carry....

Even when deer hunting on our farms, I have had occasion to kill groundhogs, coyotes, crows, wild dogs, bear, foxes, bobcats, etc....

A gun without ammo becomes a club...
Old 01-19-2008, 09:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah, I always carry plenty of extra ammo. You just never know what situation might arise. Especially when hunting out West when you can end up miles away from your vehicle.
Old 01-20-2008, 07:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hmmm, I live "out west" and often find myself "miles away frommy vehicle." But I've never found myself short on ammunition.

Now, were I packing into a spike camp, I'd probably have an extra box of ammo on hand just in case I needed to re-zero a scope after falling down the mountain with it or something. Otherwise, I don't have a need to carry more than what the rifle holds during a "day hunt". If a bear ormountain lioncomes after me, I'd better kill him with the first two rounds anyway or things are going to get very ugly for me. Blasting away at coyotes and marmots throughout the daytends to scare off the biggame too, so I don't engage in that kind of thing, either.
Old 01-20-2008, 07:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Rammer

Yeah, I always carry plenty of extra ammo. You just never know what situation might arise. Especially when hunting out West when you can end up miles away from your vehicle.
That and the fact that more and more pot farms are popping up, and if I run into one and end up getting shot at by a Mexican National, I'm going to have enough ammo to resolve the situation.
Old 01-20-2008, 07:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

To each his own. But when its my a$$ that could be on the line, I know I will have more than enough ammo to last me for a long while.
Old 01-20-2008, 07:30 PM
Boone & Crockett

I generally only carry a full magazine. Lately I've stuck to deer, squirrels, and backyard varmints. No need for the extra ammo.
Old 01-20-2008, 08:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've carried a few hundred 5.56 rounds, blasting caps, c4, det cord, HE rockets, grenades, etc, and haven't had anything blow up while carrying them. I wouldn't worry about a few rifle rounds going off in your pocket.
Old 01-22-2008, 01:03 PM
Typical Buck

I carry mine in the elastic butt stock ammo holders.. you can get them at wally world for like 10 bucks.. They hold everything from 222 to 444...