Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 What ammo can you carry when hunting. >

What ammo can you carry when hunting.

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

What ammo can you carry when hunting.

Old 11-12-2008, 01:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default What ammo can you carry when hunting.

OK gun season opens this Saturday.
Due to my ladder from my ladder stand being stolen i will be hunting from the ground.
One area there is some local dogs that run around. Two of them are pits one is another big dog. I was hunting from my pop up blind and one of the pits spotted me when running by me. He crawled and ran off.
All this on public land.

Now here is my question if i am deer hunting with slugs as that is Indiana's law. Is it OK for me to carry some buckshot or say number 6s just in case i would need to shoot one of these dogs. I would not have them loaded in my gun just on me just in case.

Also if i am deer hunting is it legal for me to carry a load for squirrels in case i want to squirrel hunt.
This is all in indiana on public land
Old 11-12-2008, 02:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What ammo can you carry when hunting.

Not sure about the laws of your state but if you are on the ground and have time to reload your gun with another tyoe of ammo, you aren't in any real danger.

That being said I'm not above popping a rouge dog while hunting and one of those slugs will do the trick.

And nobody give the whole its animal cruelty bullcrap. If its cruel to shoot a60#stray dog with a gun then you should consider it cruel to shoot a #150 deer with the same.
Old 11-12-2008, 03:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well i figured i would leave room for one or two shells and drop them in if need be with out unloading the gun.
But i do agree a slug will do that job just as good as the 00 buckshot. And from what they said on personal defense that a buck shotwill notopen up much for about 20 feet or so
ORIGINAL: RugerM77.270

Not sure about the laws of your state but if you are on the ground and have time to reload your gun with another tyoe of ammo, you aren't in any real danger.

That being said I'm not above popping a rouge dog while hunting and one of those slugs will do the trick.

And nobody give the whole its animal cruelty bullcrap. If its cruel to shoot a60#stray dog with a gun then you should consider it cruel to shoot a #150 deer with the same.
Old 11-12-2008, 03:33 PM
Typical Buck

Well, here are some of the answers you want.
1. It doesn't say any thing except shotguns used for hunting should be loaded with Slugs or Saboted Bullets. so whether that means you can carry other bullets or not I don't know but I wouldn't suggest it
2. If you have a permit you may carry a handgun - I do and I always carry
3. here's the link for the page - http://www.in.gov/dnr/files/fw-Deer_Hunting_Equipment.pdf

Personally, I would be inclined just carry the slugs because if you're huntin for deer the last thing you want to do is have to reload and grab the wrong bullet and then bust that state record with some 00 Buck and not be able to claim it. just stick with slugs. any rogue dogs come round they'll work just as well as 00 buck
Old 11-12-2008, 03:49 PM
Fork Horn

If you ever get stopped by the DNR, they will only check to see if you have a license and tag, they certainly aren't going to have you empty your pockets to see what kind of ammo you are carrying. If they did, here in Iowa I would just say that the six-shot was left in my vest from my pheasant hunt yesterday. Now, 00 Buck would be a little harder to explain. I suppose I would just say that it was there because I had an encounter with a mean rogue pit-bull on a previous hunt and wasn't going to take any more chances, or coyote for that matter, they are always in season and don't have any ammo requirements/restrictions. Bottom line, they don't care what you are carrying, just what you shoot the deer with.
Old 11-12-2008, 04:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Since I live in ky and not in,I can only relate what ky dept of fish & wildlife has to say about it. Statewide centerfire rifles are legal so most people use them but on certain wildlife management areas it's mandantory to use shotgun w/slugs. In ky while hunting with slugs,you cannothave in possessionbuckshot. Also when small game,waterfowl,or turkey hunting you cannot have in possession buckshot or slugs. So in ky,pretty much everything except varmits and burglers are illegal to shoot with buckshot. The ONLY way to be SURE is to look directly at In rules.
Old 11-12-2008, 05:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

Thats what has me worried. I spent my first two season in ky hunting.
I also used a rifle but here rifles are out except for pistol cal rifles.
ORIGINAL: stalkingbear

Since I live in ky and not in,I can only relate what ky dept of fish & wildlife has to say about it. Statewide centerfire rifles are legal so most people use them but on certain wildlife management areas it's mandantory to use shotgun w/slugs. In ky while hunting with slugs,you cannothave in possessionbuckshot. Also when small game,waterfowl,or turkey hunting you cannot have in possession buckshot or slugs. So in ky,pretty much everything except varmits and burglers are illegal to shoot with buckshot. The ONLY way to be SURE is to look directly at In rules.
Old 11-12-2008, 05:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

Ya i think i will be ok with the slugs. I was thinking more of a 5 or 6 shot i have some 6s i got for turkey hunting.
The Co's are pretty friendly around here. I think they would understand.
ORIGINAL: USNRETHunter

If you ever get stopped by the DNR, they will only check to see if you have a license and tag, they certainly aren't going to have you empty your pockets to see what kind of ammo you are carrying. If they did, here in Iowa I would just say that the six-shot was left in my vest from my pheasant hunt yesterday. Now, 00 Buck would be a little harder to explain. I suppose I would just say that it was there because I had an encounter with a mean rogue pit-bull on a previous hunt and wasn't going to take any more chances, or coyote for that matter, they are always in season and don't have any ammo requirements/restrictions. Bottom line, they don't care what you are carrying, just what you shoot the deer with.
Old 11-15-2008, 08:46 PM

Well in bama, its illegal to have regular and slugs on you.