Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Over/under choices >

Over/under choices

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Over/under choices

Old 01-16-2008, 03:49 PM

Default RE: Over/under choices

I own a 20ga Ruger Red Label, purchased brand-new in 1990. I wouldn't recommend a Red Label to anybody. Over two seasons of shooting skeet (1500 - 2000 rounds or target loads) the receiver loosened up to the point that I can physically move the barrels side-to-side in the action. It's been back to Ruger twice to fix it, and each time they sent it back telling me it was just fine. Whatever. It's loose and sloppy like no other O/U I've ever handled.

I just don't make it a habit to grumble about stuff, especially on-line, but every time I think about that shotgun and how Ruger has failed to do anything about it, it upsets me all over again. It's been sitting in the gun safe now, unfired, for over a decade.
Old 01-16-2008, 04:53 PM
Typical Buck

Take a look at the Browning Citori Lighting, especially the Grey Laminate Nickle (I'm in love). I was also looking at the Gander Mt. Citori in Mossy Oak Shadow Grass. I need to hit the store.
Old 01-22-2008, 12:41 PM
Typical Buck

If your looking for a waterfowl O/U give a look at the Browning Cynergy.. They shoot 2.3/4 to 3.1/2 shells and have a nice recoil reducing pad.. I love mine.. If your going to go with upland birds or skeet/trap.. I would go with the Citori.. Just time tested.. I have 3 that over 25 years old and they are still as tight as when I got em..
Old 01-22-2008, 08:42 PM
Fork Horn

I really like my SPR 310, but you are in a different class of shotgun altogether if you are looking at Red Labels and Citoris. Go with what fits you the best and swings well.
Old 01-23-2008, 06:48 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: oldelkhunter

I've been looking at the purchase of an over/under in the near future. I really like the fit of the Ruger Red Label but have read more than a few comments that they have quite a recoil. Any suggestions from users? thanks.
and others said they shoot loose even though they have a mechanism in place to allow them to be opened quickly. It is one of the strongest O/U shotgun action madeand they have real walnut and not some fake walnut. Parts are reasonable and Rugers customer service is excellent. They are a great buy. I currently own a 28 gauge o/u and wouldn't even think of trading it or selling it.
I too have the Red Label in 28 gauge with the 26" barrels and the straight grip. It weighs under five lbs. andshoots unbelievably. If a gun can be sexy, this is it. Love it!