Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Steyr

Old 12-05-2007, 07:41 AM
Spike

Default Steyr

Hey guys...
I posed this question on the Firearms Rewiew forum...and got a couple of responses..Thanks Guys..!
But this forum seems to get more traffic so I thought I would ask here to...

I found locally a Steyr Mountian in 308 with Leopold bases and rings and a VarXII 3-9x40 and Harris bipod in the $950 range.....While it might be a little pricey for a used gun its in very good shape and I can't get a new one shipped here and set up the same for anywhere close to that money...
So my real question...I know finally right..!...
I have no experiance with Steyr Rifles...The guns themselves...What are ya'lls opinions of Steyr rifles..??

Thanks
Brett
Old 12-05-2007, 12:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Steyr

ORIGINAL: Javey

Hey guys...
I posed this question on the Firearms Rewiew forum...and got a couple of responses..Thanks Guys..!
But this forum seems to get more traffic so I thought I would ask here to...

I found locally a Steyr Mountian in 308 with Leopold bases and rings and a VarXII 3-9x40 and Harris bipod in the $950 range.....While it might be a little pricey for a used gun its in very good shape and I can't get a new one shipped here and set up the same for anywhere close to that money...
So my real question...I know finally right..!...
I have no experiance with Steyr Rifles...The guns themselves...What are ya'lls opinions of Steyr rifles..??

Thanks
Brett
Steyr Werke has been a major manufacturer of rifles for a very long time. Many of their production items went to various European armies. For example, they made Mausers for Germany, Krags for Norway, Mannlichers for Austria-Hungary, Mannlicher Schoenauers for Greece, etc. etc. The examples of diverse military rifles made by them for all the different countries were usually the very best-made ones of any given model. In the early 1970's, they introduced their replacement for the Mannlicher-Schoenauer sporting rifles that they had been making in various calibers from 1903 until 1964 or 1965 when for some reason they dropped this old classic (it probably cost too much to build!!). These new "Steyr Mannlicher" rifles were among the very most up-to-date design possible to build I don't know of ANY design fault in these guns. They are extremely accurate and reliable. Worth every penny! But personally, I don't like them!! I prefer the old Mannlicher-Schoenauer design they used to make. Not as good a design technically, I'll admit! But they certainly have more charm than the new kind!
Old 12-06-2007, 01:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't know anything about the modern Steyr's, but I have a 1903 Mannlicher-Schoenauer . It literally has THE SMOOTHEST bolt of any bolt action gun I have yet to cycle, bar none. And besides that feature, the fit and finish and quality of workmanship on my old 1903 is as good or better than anything I've handled. The rotary magazine is a thing of beauty.
Old 12-06-2007, 05:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: 8mm/06

I don't know anything about the modern Steyr's, but I have a 1903 Mannlicher-Schoenauer . It literally has THE SMOOTHEST bolt of any bolt action gun I have yet to cycle, bar none. And besides that feature, the fit and finish and quality of workmanship on my old 1903 is as good or better than anything I've handled. The rotary magazine is a thing of beauty.
Absolutely!
Old 12-06-2007, 06:40 AM
Spike

Thanks guys....I am workin on some wheelin and dealin....Hopefully he still has it when I go back to the shop later this week...
Found yet another gun I am lookin at....I hate that..!!
About a 10 to 15 year old Remington Safari in 270...didnt' know Remington made Safari's in 270, when I verify that I'll know what I am gonna do....knowin me prolly both....lol