Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Steyr Scout

Old 02-27-2008, 05:52 PM

Default Steyr Scout

Im just curious as to how good the Scout is for hunting and as an all round rifle. Does anyone own one? I really want to get one in the future.
Old 02-28-2008, 10:15 AM

Default RE: Steyr Scout

I have one in 223 Rem but not in 300 Win Mag Or 308 Win there is a folding bipod witch i found really cool and there is a space in the stock were u can keep another clip but dude don't wast ur money on one of those mine is for varmints i should have bought the model 200 steven for 327 but i bought this one for 2327 so what ever find a better rifle way to much money
Old 02-28-2008, 11:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't agree with the scout concept for general hunting as it's limitations outweigh the benefits such as range etc.
Old 02-28-2008, 12:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't agree with the scout concept for general hunting as it's limitations outweigh the benefits such as range etc.
I always thought that the good Col Cooper was completely off his rocker in terms of his of the scout rifle 'cult' that he started.

The Steyr rifle is really nice, but for its limitations, its hard to justify the price.
Old 03-04-2008, 01:36 AM

What are the limitations?
Old 03-04-2008, 08:40 PM

Could any one tell me whats wrong with the rifle for hunting? Just don't want to waste my money in the future
Old 03-05-2008, 03:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

There's nothing wrong with the rifle-it's the way it's set up and method used that makes it inconvieinent for longer range. The scout method is to have scope (low power)set farther forward on barrel to enable both eyes to be open while shooting. This method was originally designed for close range tactical/combat/survival and thus wasn't designed to be used at anything past short,short/medium range. The main drawback of scope mounted further forward is less field of view and loss of some precision.
Old 03-05-2008, 11:57 PM

Well I would have wanted to get the .223. So it sounds appropriate as I would be hunting varmints at short/medium range. Would you agree?

Thanks for your opinion stalkingbear
Old 03-06-2008, 06:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have a friend who has one. It is the ONLY scout-type rifle setup I've seen that is decent. It is ergonomically designed so the forward-mounted scope is not a problem, like it is in such abortions as a Mauser with a long eye relief scope stuck on it where the rear sight should be......
Old 03-06-2008, 07:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

It is the ONLY scout-type rifle setup I've seen that is decent
Ditto that. They are nice, ergonomic, and very light but are very limited in their utility.

So it sounds appropriate as I would be hunting varmints at short/medium range.
An Ar-15 with an Eotech sight with magnifier or a Leupold Mk4 CQ/T mounted will do everything a Steyr scout will do, exccept a lot better, and will only cost 1/2 as much.

Quick Reply: Steyr Scout

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.