Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 7.62x54R question >

7.62x54R question

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

7.62x54R question

Old 11-24-2007, 01:18 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: 7.62x54R question

try taking a look at one of these

www.rrarms.com go to the link that says rifles , and on that page when it comes up click on the 7.62x54 link in the center box

or try this , it might take you right to the page
http://rrarms.com/catalog.php?action...p;cali=7.62x54

the fourth one dowm might interest you , however it is 4 foot long which is only 3 to 4 inches longer than a modern sporter , it could always be sporterized.

obviously , itwould have to be sent to an ffl dealer near you who could get a gunsmith in touch with you for such a project
Old 11-25-2007, 01:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

The Mosins are plenty accurate for hunting inside of 150 yards in my opinion. Most anyway. Problem with surplus rifles is that if you don't check head space, and barrel condition before buying, you might end up with less than satisfactory performance. You can of course get them rebarreled for about $175 (at least around my town).If head space is good, and you really want one of these, then you can be happy. You just either have to search for just the right one, or buy one, and fix it up.

The above post lists one for well over $300. I'm not sure why. I've never seen one for more than about $150. And that was for a pristine rifle. The scopesand mounts can be had for less than $100. Big 5 has tons of these rifles. I prefer the M44. Shorter, and I like the bayonet just for conversation, and not illegal to hunt with in my state since the bayonet is permenantly attached. Anyway, lot of trouble and possibly money to go through when a modern sporting rifle will definately be much better. But if you want one, go for it. They are fun. I wouldn't go through the trouble of sporterizing one with ATI's kit. It kinda sucks. Stock is OK for a composite, scope mount is so-so, but the bolt has to be cut and SCREWED back on. Not a quality fix to the straight bolt problem when mounting a modern type scope. See what I mean about a lot of trouble?

You never said why you wanted to know about this particular cartridge. It can be found way cheap. That's one of the best things about it. Problem is that the surplus ammo is usually corrosive. I bought 800 rounds for $115 a while ago. Great price, good ammo, but corrosive. You have to run ammonia (windex) through your barrel pretty soon after shooting it. Modern non corrosive ammo is better, but not nearly as cheap. See what I mean about a lot of trouble?

Lots of things that are a lot of trouble are worth it if it's a hobby or special interest. But if your just looking for a good hunting rifle, with cheap ammo, there are litteraly thousands of better choices. That being said, I own 5 Mosins! And a lot of other moder rifles. I've hunted with all of them, but in the end, I'll take a modern lever action for my particular hunting. In that range, Mosins will do good also, but heavy as hell!
Old 11-25-2007, 05:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

The above post lists one for well over $300. I'm not sure why. I've never seen one for more than about $150.
A finnish mosin nagant rebuild usually sells for upwards of $300, but they are worth it. Just about every one of them is capable of minute of angle accuracy or better, they are better bedded and fitted together than most modern rifles. Russian rifles are generally not worth much more than $60-70 IMHO, they are generally poorly made junk.
Old 11-25-2007, 05:49 PM
Fork Horn

i bought the 91/30 on an impulse, and i have alot of brass and i got the reloading dies.

pat