Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

7.62x54R

Old 12-04-2003, 05:48 PM

Default 7.62x54R

I just baught a moser - nagant M38 7.62x54R. I was just wondering if any of you have ever shot the gun or have any opinions on it. I havn't been able to shoot it yet because i can't find the ammo anywhere in my area so i had to order a couple boxes from cabelas. From what i've read about it, it is real similar to a .308 and i have never handled one of those either. Just wondering what kind of reoil and performance i can expect out of this gun. I usually would have figured all of this out before i bought the gun but i seen it sitting there for $99 and had to buy it. Thanks for any info.

Tom
Old 12-04-2003, 07:02 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: 7.62x54R

My first firearm was a Mosin-Nagant 1891/30. You heard right--it's similar to the .308 in ballistics and recoil. Mine was refurbished at the arsenal in Russia, so it was in excellent condition when I bought it.

However, the sights are horrible. Even at the lowest (i.e. point-blank) sight setting, my groups were about eight inches above the point of aim (which I learned was a common problem). My best groups were about 3 M.O.A. Not very bad groups, just very bad sights.

I'm really not confident that it's a good deer rifle, especially for a novice. The trigger pull is eight pounds, and the weight of the rifle loaded is almost ten. IMHO, you'd have to buy a Russian-made scope and a bent bolt to hunt deer with it. It's entirely possible that yours shoots very well, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Let us know how it works out for you after your next range visit. Also, you can buy ammo cheap at Ammunition Store.com. Hope that helps!

P.S. Those shots that hit eight inches high were made at 100 yards using Wolf 147 grain FMJs. When I adjusted the rear sight to the 100 yard notch, the hits were closer to a foot high.
Old 12-12-2003, 10:20 PM
Fork Horn

if you hunt in the cold and half to wear gloves i dont like the saftey design my father had one though and took alot of deer with it. custom made stock and had to have bolt bent needed special scope mount because of the way shell was ejected
Old 12-13-2003, 05:02 AM
Boone & Crockett

I have one of the ones that were made by Sako. It shoots well. The sights are crude so I just shot it at 50 yards. However at that range it put three shots in 3/4 inch. I was shooting Norma factory loads in it.
Old 12-14-2003, 08:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

However, the sights are horrible. Even at the lowest (i.e. point-blank) sight setting, my groups were about eight inches above the point of aim (which I learned was a common problem). My best groups were about 3 M.O.A. Not very bad groups, just very bad sights.
This is not a "PROBLEM"!! This is a battle-sight zero! These guns were made for shooting at targets that have more vertical exposure than game animals!!
Old 12-14-2003, 04:55 PM
Boone & Crockett

I've read Soviet infantry instructions that specifically call for shooting at the Germans' belt buckles, not their chests, at the correct distance settings. Obviously there is a problem with the sights if they were teaching riflemen to aim 12" low.

P.S. Remember that SlickslingTom is referring to a $99 carbine, not a Finnish sporter, and certainly not in LNIB condition. I'm sure your rare deer hunter has made successful kills with them, but it is a terrible choice for someone who has no experience in that type of caliber. Just poor workmanship and handling.
Old 12-15-2003, 08:49 PM
Typical Buck

I have an M38 and it is one of the crudist looking things I have ever owned.
Like so many things the Russians made, it was meant to function and if it didn't look good, so what.
Mine will shoot 2" groups at 100yrds. resting on a table with surplus ammo.
The cartridge has great potential if the gun will shoot.
Old 01-05-2004, 08:07 PM

My M44 is my current project. I have already taken off the forend and trimmed the stock back to match the barrel. I'm stripping it now, it has some nice wood on it. I'm going to do some cutting and carving on the stock to perfect the fit. I have only shot it a little, to say I had. Not sure about the sites. Hit 3/6 on a 12" gong at 100yards.
Old 01-06-2004, 09:36 AM

Mosin-Nagants are great rifles. They feel and shoot much better than they look. the 7.62x54R roughly splits the difference between the .308 and .30/06. Pretty much equals the .30/06 with bullet weights up to 150 grains, but falls behind with heavier bullets. The safety can be tough to operate with cold hands. I have heard of folks tieing a length of leather strap to the cocking piece to allow them more grip when moving it to the safe position. I don't, it could cause problems if the leather strap breaks. There are scount mounts availabe that mount on the rear sight, and allow you to mount along eye relief scope on the rifle. Otherwise, you will need to bend and extend the bolt to allow for scope mounting. My favorite bad weather hunting rifle is a M91/30 that I mounted a Russian sniper scope on. Only three power, but opticly very clear, with good resolution. My oldest son likes to hunt with it, regardless of the weather, and has three one shot kills.
Old 01-08-2004, 06:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

I've read Soviet infantry instructions that specifically call for shooting at the Germans' belt buckles, not their chests, at the correct distance settings. Obviously there is a problem with the sights if they were teaching riflemen to aim 12" low.
I say again, this is not a "problem"!! The sights are made this way on purpose, so the soldier can aim at the enemy's belt buckle and hit him somewhere between his neck and his groin all the way out to 500+ yards, without having to adjust his rear sight! These are combat weapons, NOT HUNTING RIFLES!!