Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 opinions of the h&r unltra slug hunter? >

opinions of the h&r unltra slug hunter?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

opinions of the h&r unltra slug hunter?

Old 11-23-2007, 01:17 PM

Default RE: opinions of the h&r unltra slug hunter?

for everyone who says its heavy should have gone with the tracker 2, that is what i did and it is lighter and it dosnt kick bad atleast the 20 dosnt, but then again i have a recoil pad on the stock because i bought the tracker barrle seperately but still even without the pad it isnt bad and it about 3 lbs. lighter.
Old 11-23-2007, 01:18 PM

ORIGINAL: ultra man

Hornandy is making a round called the SST that is 2000 fps, and only drops about 6.5 inches at 200 yards
That is the round i am using in my 20 too
Old 11-23-2007, 04:29 PM
Fork Horn

I too have the Ultra in 12 & 20 gauge, bull barrels topped with Simmons 1.5-4.5 variables.
I shoot the 20 exclusively now as the 12 has too much recoil for my taste.
They are both accurate, cost effective pieces of armament.
I give 'em a 9.5 out of 10, high five, you bet, can't go wrong, good choice for anyone!
Old 11-23-2007, 06:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

the only proplem i got with single shots is i called gander mountain and there cheapst single was only 50 bucks cheaper then the mossberg 500
Old 11-24-2007, 05:16 AM
Typical Buck

You are right about the customer service, they said send it in no problem, I sent a letter explaining what happened and requested a trigger job also. I have read on another post about what happened to mine. The tranfer bar or lift bar as H&R calls it, slips over a pin and is peened on, sometimes it doesn't get peened enough. Just glad it happened on the bench and not in the field. As for accuracy, I can shoot a 2 inch group at 100 from the lead slead with Lightfields, I am sure they are like every other gun in that some are more accurate than others.
ORIGINAL: Paul L Mohr

I have one and know others personally that have them, and know many on the internet that use them. I like it, but I wouldn't call it the best thing since sliced bread. The ultra's are heavy, but they handle recoil well. Tuco's is the first problem I have every heard with them. I hear they have good customer service so they should hook you up. While it's in there you should have them do a trigger job on it as well.

From playing with mine, others and talking to people on the net I don't think the accuracy from them is anything outstanding, but they are great for the money. If having a single shot really bothers you go ahead and get a mossberg 500 or remington 879 combo with a cantilever mount. I have seen pretty much the same accuracy from these set ups when you find the right load. I think this is the key with slug guns, you just have to invest the time and money until you find a slug it really likes.

The trackers are lighter, but they kick harder as a result and they only have open sights unless you can find a gun smith to mount a scope on it. Some will, some won't. H&R doesn't recommend it. They are cheaper too.

I wouldn't be expecting half inch groups out of them at 100 yards either, let alone off hand. Considering they shoot a 50 caliber bullet (half inch in diameter) that means all your shots would pretty much have to go in the same hole. I haven't seen one yet that can do that, nor have I met anyone that can shoot one that well. Average is between 2 and 3 inch groups from a bench at 100 yards when you find something it likes. Providing you can shoot it that well.

Good luck,
Paul
Old 11-24-2007, 11:58 AM
Spike

Every one that I have seen was a good shooter. I have a NEF in .45-70 that will group 3 inches at 100 yards off
hand with iron sights. My brother can actually shoot five shots quite fast from it. I would say get one, and you will
be happy you did.
Old 11-24-2007, 04:41 PM

ORIGINAL: bigtim6656

the only proplem i got with single shots is i called gander mountain and there cheapst single was only 50 bucks cheaper then the mossberg 500

but this is a fully rifled deer slayer, but that is kinda bad, mine was 260 for two barrles with camo stock and forarm, so i see what you are sayin though
Old 11-24-2007, 09:28 PM
Typical Buck

My 20 gauge Ultra has a 24"heavy slug barrel.
Is it accurate? Yes.
Is it heavy? Yes.
There'sdefinitelya benefit tohaving a sling on it.