HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - opinions of the h&r unltra slug hunter?
Old 11-24-2007, 05:16 AM
Tuco
Typical Buck

Default RE: opinions of the h&r unltra slug hunter?

You are right about the customer service, they said send it in no problem, I sent a letter explaining what happened and requested a trigger job also. I have read on another post about what happened to mine. The tranfer bar or lift bar as H&R calls it, slips over a pin and is peened on, sometimes it doesn't get peened enough. Just glad it happened on the bench and not in the field. As for accuracy, I can shoot a 2 inch group at 100 from the lead slead with Lightfields, I am sure they are like every other gun in that some are more accurate than others.
ORIGINAL: Paul L Mohr

I have one and know others personally that have them, and know many on the internet that use them. I like it, but I wouldn't call it the best thing since sliced bread. The ultra's are heavy, but they handle recoil well. Tuco's is the first problem I have every heard with them. I hear they have good customer service so they should hook you up. While it's in there you should have them do a trigger job on it as well.

From playing with mine, others and talking to people on the net I don't think the accuracy from them is anything outstanding, but they are great for the money. If having a single shot really bothers you go ahead and get a mossberg 500 or remington 879 combo with a cantilever mount. I have seen pretty much the same accuracy from these set ups when you find the right load. I think this is the key with slug guns, you just have to invest the time and money until you find a slug it really likes.

The trackers are lighter, but they kick harder as a result and they only have open sights unless you can find a gun smith to mount a scope on it. Some will, some won't. H&R doesn't recommend it. They are cheaper too.

I wouldn't be expecting half inch groups out of them at 100 yards either, let alone off hand. Considering they shoot a 50 caliber bullet (half inch in diameter) that means all your shots would pretty much have to go in the same hole. I haven't seen one yet that can do that, nor have I met anyone that can shoot one that well. Average is between 2 and 3 inch groups from a bench at 100 yards when you find something it likes. Providing you can shoot it that well.

Good luck,
Paul