Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 new marlin .17 hmr >

new marlin .17 hmr

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

new marlin .17 hmr

Old 11-23-2007, 10:25 AM

Default new marlin .17 hmr

Does anyone have any info on the marlin .17 hmr model 917s? thanks
Old 11-23-2007, 11:11 AM

Default RE: new marlin .17 hmr

Like what kind of information? Be more specific if you want a good answer.

What would you like to know about them?

Paul
Old 11-23-2007, 11:37 AM

Oh sorry bout that. I just kinda wanted to know about peoples experiences with them. Pros and cons, that sorta thing. I have heard some of the marlins have a really loose fitting magazine and things like that. How do people like them?
Old 11-23-2007, 12:11 PM

I like mine. The trigger is a little stiff but other then that i like it. I also have a Marlin in 22 Mag that is almost the exact same gun. There are very minor differences in them.
Old 11-23-2007, 07:17 PM
Typical Buck

I got one in 17hmr. I have put in excess of 9000 rounds through it and still works great. Magazine isn't loose, very accurate gun. I have a bullet drop compensator on mine
Old 11-23-2007, 07:38 PM

Hey bow hunter, or anyone else, Is the 917vs-cf pretty much the same gun as the 917s? Do you know what the difference is between the two? If i was going to buy the gun and scope seperate then does it really matter if i get a gun with sights or not? when you put a scope on do you have to take them off?
Old 11-24-2007, 03:48 AM

I have a 917V. The V stands for Varmint which comes with a heavier barrel. S is for Stainless. CF is for the Carbon Fiber finish on the stock. I would get one of the Varmint models which do not come with sights if you are planning on using a scope. Any gun with 917V in the model number will not have open sights. If you get one with open sights the gun will be slightly lighter but the scope will be mounted high to get over the open sights.
Old 11-24-2007, 08:14 AM

Thanks Retaks, i have one more question. Well first of all, here is the gun i want to put the scope on, http://www.marlinfirearms.com/Firear.../917VS-CF.aspx

Here is the scope i want to put on it, http://www.bsaoptics.com/scope.aspx?product=37

Now, It says the gun alread has holes drilled out for scope bases. So what would i need to do to mount the scope. I'm sure i could find a good tutorial online but i want to ask here first to see if there are any hints or if anyone here just wants to tell me the CORRECT way to do it. Some people out there right turtorials on things they don't even know how to do.....go figure. Thanks guys!
Old 11-24-2007, 08:59 AM

The rings that come with the scope i would not use. If i was you i would buy the scope either at the shop you are getting the rifle or before you get the rifle and take it with you and have the gunshop put it on and boresight it for you. It makes things alot easier when you get to the range the first time.

If you dont do that then you will need either weaver style mounts (thats what it is drilled and tapped for tha Weaver style bases are included with the rifle) or and standard 22 style bases will work and you dont have to put the Weaver style bases on. I personally dont use the weaver style bases.

If you decide to use the Weaver style bases then you need to remove the plug screws in the top of the reciever and screw the bases with all the supplyedscrews to the top of the reciever.

Next you will need to mount the scope mounts to the gun either on the dovetail built into the reciever or the Weaver style mounts. I would get a decent set of scope mounts for this. Its alot easier to just use 22 style mounts.

After the mounts are on the gun and tight you will put the scope on. When you put teh scope on you need to check eye relief and to make sure your scope is straight up and down. I check up and down by looking through the scope and centering the crosshairs on the reciever but this can be tricky on Marlin rimfires because o the way the reciever is cut for the bolt. Make sure everything is tight and your ready to go shoot.

I know im not the best at this and someone may have a easier way to explain things to make it easier for you. If you want pictures of things i can take some of the different steps for you.
Old 11-24-2007, 10:26 AM

Pics would be great! I kinda got lost a little bit lol. Thats for the explanation though. If i did decide to have the gunsmith do it then do you have an idea of how much he would charge? I'll probly get it done at gander mountain if that helps.

Quick Reply: new marlin .17 hmr

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.