Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 opinions of the h&r unltra slug hunter? >

opinions of the h&r unltra slug hunter?

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

opinions of the h&r unltra slug hunter?

Old 11-22-2007, 09:54 AM
Fork Horn

Default opinions of the h&r unltra slug hunter?

need some opinions of this gun. just shopping around for a new slug gun. not sure i like the single shot deal but i think i could live with it.

thanks
Old 11-22-2007, 10:35 AM

Default RE: opinions of the h&r unltra slug hunter?

Great gun, you'll like the single shot cause that is all you need with this gun, i have the lighter version the tracker 2 and it is as accurate as a rifle at 100 yards, i was about .5 inches off free hand.
Old 11-22-2007, 05:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: millerhunter13

Great gun, you'll like the single shot cause that is all you need with this gun,
Well put.

One of the guys I work with bought a 20 gauge. Topped it with a Leupold shotgun/muzzleloader scope and it will shoot 1.25" groups at 100 yards with Winchester Partition Gold slugs. Amazingly accurate for a very reasonable price.

Hardest part about them lately is finding one in stock.
Old 11-22-2007, 08:33 PM
Fork Horn

I have both the 12 and the 20, and am happy with both. I've actually killed more deer with the 20. Hornandy is making a round called the SST that is 2000 fps, and only drops about 6.5 inches at 200 yards----THis is the 20 I'm talking about. The 12 has equally impressive stats with the proper round. I have been shooting lightfields in the 20 and have no problem putting my shots in a business card at 120 yards, from a bench. The triggers are also supprisingly smooth in both.
I topped the 20 with a Nikon scope (about $100.00), and it is a deer killin machine.
Cons-sabot prices are through the roof. The guns are pretty heavy also. I wouldn't want to hike all day with one.
Old 11-22-2007, 09:58 PM

A good friend of mine has the USH 12ga. It's pretty heavy, and has a thick walled barrell that resembles a small cannon, butafter a lot of testing, a good scope, good slugs(his loved lightfields), and in good hands, I've WITNESSED him consistently hit playing cards at 150 yards.

Great treestand gun, but I would have another weapon stashed in the the truck to use if you're going to be doing a lot of walking.
Old 11-23-2007, 12:42 AM
Typical Buck

I have one in a 20 gauge and it will shoot 1 hole groups at 50 yards. I did have a problem with mine a couple of weeks ago. Went to check the zero before gun season, had everything set up, put a shell in the gun but could not pull the hammer back. The transfer bar had come off and fell down in the action. Sent it back to the factory last week, haven't got it back yet. I did manage to "piece" together a gun for hunting. First I put my barrel on my 10 gauge frame but it was too loose. So I put it on my brothers 20+ year old Topper and it worked fine. Done this all on my dads front porch, he started laughing and said I reminded him of Tuco from The Good, The Bad and The Ugly. So I changed my name from Honcho12 to Tuco.
Old 11-23-2007, 07:01 AM

I have one and know others personally that have them, and know many on the internet that use them. I like it, but I wouldn't call it the best thing since sliced bread. The ultra's are heavy, but they handle recoil well. Tuco's is the first problem I have every heard with them. I hear they have good customer service so they should hook you up. While it's in there you should have them do a trigger job on it as well.

From playing with mine, others and talking to people on the net I don't think the accuracy from them is anything outstanding, but they are great for the money. If having a single shot really bothers you go ahead and get a mossberg 500 or remington 870 combo with a cantilever mount. I have seen pretty much the same accuracy from these set ups when you find the right load. I think this is the key with slug guns, you just have to invest the time and money until you find a slug it really likes.

The trackers are lighter, but they kick harder as a result and they only have open sights unless you can find a gun smith to mount a scope on it. Some will, some won't. H&R doesn't recommend it. They are cheaper too.

I wouldn't be expecting half inch groups out of them at 100 yards either, let alone off hand. Considering they shoot a 50 caliber bullet (half inch in diameter) that means all your shots would pretty much have to go in the same hole. I haven't seen one yet that can do that, nor have I met anyone that can shoot one that well. Average is between 2 and 3 inch groups from a bench at 100 yards when you find something it likes. Providing you can shoot it that well.

Good luck,
Paul
Old 11-23-2007, 07:33 AM

A great slug gun is the 12 ga Savage bolt action model it is very accurate and it shoots up to 3 inch shells. And you need a slip on recoil pad also!
Old 11-23-2007, 11:13 AM
Fork Horn

thanks for all of the responses, keep em comin!
Old 11-23-2007, 11:20 AM
Dominant Buck

Andrea knows it works!

Andrea killed this deer at 8:50am 11/21/2007 with a scoped single shot .243 cal Rossi at 20 yards. The heart shot was judged perfectly and the deer only ran 40 yards after impact.

Quick Reply: opinions of the h&r unltra slug hunter?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.