Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 New Cartrige? >

New Cartrige?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

New Cartrige?

Old 11-13-2007, 06:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: New Cartrige?

ORIGINAL: starhunter21

In choosing a H&H, Whelen or Savage, your bullet selection is limited and in some cases may be real expensive.
Please explan how bullets for the these would be so expensive.[&:] The .300 H&H and .300 Savage are .308 cal, same as those for the .308, .30-06 and just about every other ".30"caliber cartidge. With the .35 Whelen, it's the same with many common .35 caliber cartridges so those too wouldn't cost any more for bullets.
Bullets is not cartridges which is what I'm thinking you were meaning but used the wrong term. just like caliber doesn't mean the same as cartridge yet ppl use caliber incorrectly a LOT also.
Part of wanting these less comon chamberings is the higher prices and harder to find ammo. It can be a factor in chosing a rifle but shouldn't be if it's what you really want. It can open up a whole newhobby too - reloading. I don't see myself spending $60/20 for .405 Win ammo so I'll buy an initial box, dies and reload it. Can get the same proberly better results with less cost.

Old 11-13-2007, 06:05 PM
Typical Buck

The 270 and the 270WSM are pretty much the same thing. You want something that will really put a hurt on the deer and possibly something bigger then get something in .30 caliber or bigger. I've heard a rumor that the short mags are going to be phased out over the next few years due to lack of sales. I don't know if thats true or not. I personally was lookin at the 300 wsm for my next rifle but am now reconsidering since I shot my cousins 300 win mag. Love that gun and didn't kick that much more than a 20gauge slug if you ask me. That would be the cartridge I recommend. Its powerful and good for pretty much anything on this continentout to around 300-400 yds. Plus, its been around for awhile now and will continue to be around. Now I wouldn't rule out the 30-06 but you said you want something that not many people have and most of the guys that I hunted with in kentucky used either a 30-30 or a 30-06
Old 11-13-2007, 06:07 PM
Typical Buck

But there is also always the good ole 45-70
Old 11-13-2007, 07:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've just one rifle in a caliber I don't often see - a .300 Weatherby Magnum.

By "don't often see", I mean that I 1) don't often see ammunition in the store and 2) don't often see empty cases to reload in the store.

I'm not sure the "uncommon caliber" is a desirable predicament to find yourself in. I'd do exactly the opposite - find yourself a rifle with performance significantly different than your current .270and relatively common.

My grandpa used to have a 5mm Remington Magnum rimfire. Fun little rifle, but sits in the corner now, since we can't find affordable ammo for it anywhere now. I'd imagine there are quite a few guys out there wishing they'd unloaded their 8mm Remington Magnums(etc.) before the caliber became unpopular and the ammo scarce.
Old 11-13-2007, 09:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

But there is also always the good ole 45-70
That is what I was thinking. I have a marlin .450 and you can use it for anything in North America.
Old 11-14-2007, 09:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: LOUISIANA WHITETAILS

I am already thinking about the cartrige I want to get in my next deer rifle. I want something bigger than my .270's. I would like to get something different that not many people have. I was thinking about a .270 WSM, but have no clue what is the range of grains you can shoot, and how much more powerfull it is compared to other cartriges. How does it compare to the .270 WIN, and 7 MAG? .300 MAG?

THANKS CHRIS
Chris, a .270 WSM is NOT bigger than the .270 Win., it shoots exactly the same size (.277") and weights (110, 120, 130, 140, 150, and 160-grain) of bullets. It holds a little more powder, and has a little more muzzle velocity. This all adds up to maybe 50-100 yards better trajectory, and that's all.

I assume when you say "bigger", you are seeking something that is better suited for game like elk, moose, grizzlies, and the bigger African plains game, rather than deer? Is this correct?? If so, get yourself a .338 Win. mag. It is bigger!

IF you're only shooting deer, the .270 you already have is more than enough rifle.
Old 11-14-2007, 12:33 PM

Yea I looked on some ballistic charts, and there is not much difference in performance. Ohwell I have always wanted a .300 Mag anyways.
Old 11-14-2007, 12:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

I am already thinking about the cartrige I want to get in my next deer rifle. I want something bigger than my .270's. I would like to get something different that not many people have. I was thinking about a .270 WSM, but have no clue what is the range of grains you can shoot, and how much more powerfull it is compared to other cartriges. How does it compare to the .270 WIN, and 7 MAG? .300 MAG?

Look at a 270 Weatherby loaded right they are a step up from a 270WSM and really pack a punch at long distance. 270 WSM has 200 fps over a normal 270 and the Weatherby if you look at the load tables shoots 200 fps more with a full load of powder. It is my next project on a M70 action
Old 11-14-2007, 04:25 PM
Typical Buck

Ohhh let's be pedantic about it shall we. While were at it let's make sure the world calls music of the Middle Ages, Rennisance, Barque, Romantic, and 20th Century what they are instead of calling them all "Classical"!.... that's for a different conversation I feel sure.
We all know what he ment.
As for caliber choice may I recomend getting a caliber that is suited for something other than that of your current one. Going either way in the spectrum you could make a strong case for a new rifle.
Bigger:
338 Lapua
338 Winchester
404 Jeffery
50 BMG

Smaller:
.223 Remington
.243 Winchester
.22-250 Remington

Or get a brush buster:
.30-30 Winchester
.300 Savage

Old 11-14-2007, 08:59 PM
Banned

By getting a 30-06, you will be the odd man out! Since everyone wants a short mag something-or-other. The differences in short mags/standard are so minimal that you will never know the difference in a hunting situation. Just know where what ever you get shoots, and leave the rest alone.....

Quick Reply: New Cartrige?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.