HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - New Cartrige?
View Single Post
Old 11-14-2007, 09:40 AM
eldeguello
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: New Cartrige?

ORIGINAL: LOUISIANA WHITETAILS

I am already thinking about the cartrige I want to get in my next deer rifle. I want something bigger than my .270's. I would like to get something different that not many people have. I was thinking about a .270 WSM, but have no clue what is the range of grains you can shoot, and how much more powerfull it is compared to other cartriges. How does it compare to the .270 WIN, and 7 MAG? .300 MAG?

THANKS CHRIS
Chris, a .270 WSM is NOT bigger than the .270 Win., it shoots exactly the same size (.277") and weights (110, 120, 130, 140, 150, and 160-grain) of bullets. It holds a little more powder, and has a little more muzzle velocity. This all adds up to maybe 50-100 yards better trajectory, and that's all.

I assume when you say "bigger", you are seeking something that is better suited for game like elk, moose, grizzlies, and the bigger African plains game, rather than deer? Is this correct?? If so, get yourself a .338 Win. mag. It is bigger!

IF you're only shooting deer, the .270 you already have is more than enough rifle.