Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 What do you think (Barreled Actions) >

What do you think (Barreled Actions)

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

What do you think (Barreled Actions)

Old 11-10-2007, 01:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default What do you think (Barreled Actions)

I was looking through Brownells and they have a few sales on Ruger M77 barreled actions. They are between $380-$450. .223, .243, .270, .308, 7mm RM are on sale. I am thinking about buying one and then putting a Richards microfit stock on it and have a pretty nice rifle for about $600. What do you guys think?

Old 11-10-2007, 09:10 PM

Default RE: What do you think (Barreled Actions)

It's up to you, but, think about it like this.

Let's say that you pay all that money and then find out that there is something wrong with the action that you just bought and it does not have the accuracy that you would expect out of a $600 rifle.

Then what do you do?

Ifyou go out and BUY a new rifle the way you want it and it does not perform the way you expect, it will have a warranty and you can take it back.

There is nothing wrong with a factory rifle made today from a quality manufacturer. It is very hard to improve on something that isn't broke.

It is easy to buy an aftermarket stock that does not fit properly and then have nothing but problems with it.

I have hunted in all kinds of weather, even down below zero for days at a time and have had very few firearms problems and have never had a single problem with a factory stock. So wanting a plastic stock because the manufacturers convinced a select few people that it is a must have item - due to the fact that the stock can warp or change in adverse weather conditions is an old wives tale.

If the weather is that bad, you sure as heck are not going to sit out in it.

I once sat in a treestand with my brother for 10 hours, and it never got over 1* outside. The treestand was only 4 feet by 4 feet and we had a kerosun heater and two sleeping bags to keep us warm. Even when we did see a buck, we couldn't move fast enough to get a shot. You couldn't stand up without knocking the heater out of the treestand and there was no place to put your rifle. I'll never do it again!
Old 11-11-2007, 06:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

While it's a excellent idea and works very well,ruger STILL has warranty on these. I prefer to obtain just complete actions so that I may square/true/blueprint the action,install TOP QUALITY barrel,either make walnut stock from blank or order sythetic stock,etc for a FULL custom rifle as does 95% of my customers. That drives up cost a lot however,so you have to decide what performance level you will settle for.
Old 11-11-2007, 09:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

Brownells sells a lot of stuff you can't easily get somewhere else. However barrelled actions are not one of those items. Buy a used Ruger or a NIB off of Gunbroker and be done with it. You can sell the stock and make some extra money for other items you might want to change. My local dealer is quoting 550 for a new Redhawk SS rifle in my choice of calibers xcept the 375.
Old 11-11-2007, 01:04 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: oldelkhunter

Brownells sells a lot of stuff you can't easily get somewhere else. However barrelled actions are not one of those items. Buy a used Ruger or a NIB off of Gunbroker and be done with it. You can sell the stock and make some extra money for other items you might want to change. My local dealer is quoting 550 for a new Redhawk SS rifle in my choice of calibers xcept the 375.

Yeah, those new Redhawk SSrifles are pretty sweet but hard to come by

didfind a picture of one..............

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd60/levimccollum/100_4772.jpg
Old 11-11-2007, 03:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Not sure how enthused I'd be about a revolver carbine, especially in a high power cartridge. Not a great idea to get ones hand beside or in front of the cylinder.

Here is a pic of a 500 S&W firing at night. Notice where the flame is in relation to where ones left hand would be.

i can't find it, but I've also recently seen a picture of a .454 Casull (Ruger SRH) that had at least 8" of flames shooting out both sides of the barrel/cylinder gap.

Mike

Old 11-11-2007, 03:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you want to build a semi-custom rifle, and the barreled action is covered by Ruger's warranty, then I'd say go for it. The Ruger M77 are pretty nice Mauser-style actions. The triggers suck, so you may want to take the opportunity to put a better trigger on before you fit it into a stock.

Mike

Old 11-11-2007, 05:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think you mean the hawkeye new ruger version of the m77 mk2. The mk2 factory triggers are easily slicked up no problem.

ORIGINAL: oldelkhunter

Old 11-11-2007, 06:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'll see if they are covered under warranty. The model I was looking to purchase was a .223 Varmint barreled action for $450.