Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Montana Rifleman Barreled Actions >

Montana Rifleman Barreled Actions

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Montana Rifleman Barreled Actions

Old 05-21-2007, 05:55 PM
Fork Horn

Default Montana Rifleman Barreled Actions

I am looking a a Montana Rifleman barreled action in 7mm WSM. Does anyone have experience with doing this? How good are the barreled actions? Worth the money?
Old 05-21-2007, 07:34 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Montana Rifleman Barreled Actions

I’m actually looking at one too. They will lap the bolt and square the action in house for a little extra. I have even found a few places that said the barrels are lapped at the factory and of premium quality. I’m starting to save for one this fall after my boat is paid off. I’m looking at using an accurate innovations stock, you?

mello
Old 05-21-2007, 07:41 PM
Fork Horn

I like Boyds stocks but I don't know if they have one that will work without starting with a blank.

The stock was my next question.

Old 05-23-2007, 07:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have fired two of them. A good friend and his brother got two for a trip to Africa (trust fund kids). At any rate, first thing to know is that its a cast receiver, which dissapointed me. Next, the rifles are really really well balanced. One of them had a Pachmeyer and the other a McMillan, so while they were on the heavy side (their barrles were both semi bull and fluted), they didn't have to carry them anyway.

Accuracy was another dissapointment. It wasn't bad, but for that kind of money, and with the high quality glass they put on, you would expect better than they did. The 7-08 shot right at 1.25" and the 30-06 held around 1.5". There again, not bad, but for the money you'd expect a little bit better.