Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
mauser, factory, or custom action? >

mauser, factory, or custom action?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

mauser, factory, or custom action?

Old 01-21-2003, 06:37 AM
Fork Horn

Default mauser, factory, or custom action?

I’m thinking of building a rifle chambered in 338-06 and I know that I can take an old rifle and have it re-barreled but what I wanted to know was could I purchase just an action other than a custom bench rest action something like a factory action i.e. Remington 700 action? When I build this rifle the only thing that I would use from an old rifle would be the action, every thing else would be replaced, the stock, the trigger, and of course the barrel. I’m considering using a mauser style action, what surplus mauser would you suggest that would be the best platform for a custom rifle? Do you know of a manufacturer that makes factory style actions that sell for a reasonable price?

If you're not huntin' you're not livin'!!!!!!!!
Old 01-21-2003, 01:20 PM

Default RE: mauser, factory, or custom action?

www.brownells.com/
Old 01-21-2003, 01:28 PM

I would look hard for an inexpensive used 30-06 in every gun shop that I could find. Ask around, some shop's have rifles with broken stock, fireing pins and other minor problems that they might sell to you for a very reasonable price. Since you only need an action, the condition of the stock, blueing on the barrel and things that make a rifle looks nice and add to the cost aren't important. Used 30-06's are a dime a dozen and except for Brownings are easy to barrel and rechamber. The last I heard Browning's need a special wrench to remove the barrel and not all gunsmiths have one. A used Interarms Mark X rifle would be prefect if you're set on a mauser action. My 338-06 is based on a Mark X. Charles Daly sells new mauser actions. I wouldn't spend the money on a benchrest match quality action for building a hunting rifle. Used Remington 700 and Winchester 70 rifles normally have a higher price tag but if you find one at a good price then buy it.
Old 01-21-2003, 02:26 PM

CAM2, I posted a similar question a couple of weeks ago. Do a search for the topic "Custom Rifle Project" and see what I learned. I'm still not sure what I will do. I'm learning that using a Mauser action could be very expensive and be quite a lot of work. Keep us posted on what you decide. Good luck.
Old 01-21-2003, 06:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

with a caliber like the 338-06 id definently want a mauser action...and if oyur building a rifle you should be building it to your specs and how you want if not save the money and buy one...so money shouldnt be much of an issue...the best mauser action is the 98...im not sure the price of a good condition 98 somewhere from 100-200 probally about 150 or so im not positive though...the mause action is the strongest in the world and when i build my custom rifles they will definently be on mausers not a copy...many diffrent rifle manufacturers today copied the mauser action because it was so good...but they will never be the same...if you want a copy i think charels daly or someone like that makes them.....id opt for an original in good condition if you have the cash and want the rifle to be the best it can be...without an action the rifles useless...theres a few guys around this board that can help you with the mauser questions...a few helped me figure out what it would cost to buy and old action and rechamber it and all all that but i dont have a job and im 15 so i decided to put things like that off so i have something to do after i goto college and get a real job or whatever it is i will do...