Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
 Custom built gun or factory gun? >

Custom built gun or factory gun?

Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Custom built gun or factory gun?

Old 12-09-2006, 10:27 AM

Default Custom built gun or factory gun?

Thinking of building a gun,7mmbut for what I want it might be cheaper to buy one from the factory, this is what I'm looking for if I build, Mcmillan stock with full bedding and pillar posts , krieger ss barrel 24" flutted, muzzle brake, timney trigger, Rem action with 3 way safety, not sure how much but probably over 2000$. Or should I buy a factory gun that most of the stuff I need is already on it? Now which factory gun, Weatherby accumark, Sako, Kimber looks good, or remington all in ss with black synthetic stocks. If anyone has gone done this road before any help is appreciated, and I'm sure I dont have all materiallisted for building one.
Thanks
Elmer
Old 12-09-2006, 04:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Custom built gun or factory gun?

I think a factory sako is hard to beat for the money unless you need controlled round feed. I had custom sako built in 338 win mag and I have a .223 sako. Sako works like butter. I would go custom if there is something out there in barrel and stock that really tickles your fancy. My 338 kicked like a 308 once I go the right barrel, stock and recoil pad on. Well, at least until I loaded 300 grain bullets. Heh, heh.
Old 12-09-2006, 06:57 PM
Typical Buck

Personally I would buy a factory Remington LSS, have it glass bedded, maybe a KDF muzzle break, trigger job. I like wood stocks becaue they are warmer in the cold and the laminate is impervious to warping.
Old 12-10-2006, 03:09 AM

If you know exactly what you want (and it sounds like you do) don't buy a whole gun as a go-between project. Just build that sucker!!! I would imagine you'll be money ahead, if you're like me, 'cause once you figure out what you want you won't stop adding and tweaking till your done. This means you've got a barrel, stock and trigger that you bought twice.
Old 12-11-2006, 04:47 PM
Dominant Buck

Kimber is pretty close to custom quality at a factory price.