Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 A rifle with a pistol cartrige? >

A rifle with a pistol cartrige?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

A rifle with a pistol cartrige?

Old 11-12-2007, 12:26 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: A rifle with a pistol cartrige?

Tim,
First, I gotta tell ya. The 30-30 is not a legal cartridge under the new law. So don't go with that. Personally, I'm using a .357 mag puma model 92. You might check them out at www.legacysports.com. Seeing as season starts on Saturday, I don't think ordering one is much of an option for this year. I do know that Gander Mountain on the north and south side of Indianapolis carries alot of the pumas, marlin 1895s, henry, ubertis, and of course the HR in a number of those new legal calibers. And they have alot of them. Infact they're putting them at discounts atsome stores.
My puma is is a replica of the winchester 92. It has an 20" octagonal barrel. I actually didn't buy it for hunting but when I picked it up the guy told me about the new law. I had to buy a new sight. Just got word today that the new one was in the mail. Hope it gets back in time for me to get it sighted in.
But enough about that. I'd probably go with a larger rifle. I know the HR is available in 44 mag, 45lc, and 500S&W. Saw a used 500 S&W with a scope that was painted camo and had a scope for 300. They make the puma in 44 mag, 45LC, 44-40, and 454 casuall but I've heard mixed reviews about the 454.
The do make a scope mount for the henrys. There actually is one with the mount already installed chambered in 44mag at the Gander Mountain in greenwood indiana. Check em out.
Old 11-12-2007, 01:06 PM

Thanks, I am pretty set on a 44 mag. I am already committed to using my Rem. 870 with fully rifled barrel and Hornady sst's for this year. It worked well last yeartoo. I like that gun, but I really want something that I can enjoy shooting a little more. The recoil is killing me.

The other reason is the 44 mag ammo is alot less expensive than sabots. I was looking pretty hard into an inline muzzleloader until I found out about this new option.

It looks like I can get a single shot in 44 mag for $200-250. I can hide that amount from my wife! She would probably notice $600-800 for one of the lever action ones.

Thanks for the help guys!
Old 11-12-2007, 06:18 PM

ORIGINAL: TimHixson

The H&R seems like an option. Dicks can get them but they are 5-6 weeks lead time. Does anyplace stock them?

Are they also under the name New England Rifles?
I bought a H&R Handi-Rifle from Wal-Mart. I only payed $220.00 for it so its a inexpensive option. If you do a google search for it one of the results is a Wal-Mart page. I just printed it out and brought it into my local store. They had to special order it and they said it would be about a week but they got it in 3 days later. There nice little guns. I'm getting fist sized groups at 175yds. The only real drawback is the price of the ammo.
Old 11-13-2007, 05:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

Marlin makes them, winchester, and henry makes them.