Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 whats the verdict on a .300WSM >

whats the verdict on a .300WSM

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

whats the verdict on a .300WSM

Old 10-16-2007, 07:58 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: whats the verdict on a .300WSM

I shot the 30-06 and all the 300 Magnums and now settled on the 308. Does the same job cheaper and with a bunch less recoil and muzzle blast but to each his own.
Old 10-17-2007, 10:29 PM

Does the same job? So does a 22lr, or even a Louisville slugger if you get close enough. But if you are talking ballistics, the 300WSM smokes the .308. Speed , energy, and wind drift, there is very little comparison. Expense, you are correct, the WSM is about 10-15 dollars more a box. I don’t care about that plus I am going to start reloading so that point it mute. Recoil is very debatable. I have an older browning 06 that kicks like a mule. My 300WSM is very pleasant to shoot, but it fits me. It may kick the crap out of someone else, but not me. I can shoot it all day, upside down in the rocks if I have too.

There is no doubt that a well place shots makes all the difference in the world, but if I have a 400 class bull walk out in front of me at 300 yds, I will thank the lord that I left my .308 at home. But to each there own.
Old 10-19-2007, 04:47 AM
Fork Horn

Wow I don't mean to be a di@% here but if you can't hit a 400 class bull (and unless you are extremely lucky or very rich will never happen in your life time) at 300 yrds with a .308 there is no amount of ballistic out there that will make you a better shooter. confirmed kills in sniping with the 308 go way past 1,000 yrds. I think people need to step away from the computer and charts for a min. shoot your gun and find out what your gun will doa .308 in real world hunting will suprise the h&ll out of you. And again to each there own.
Old 10-20-2007, 02:05 AM

Hey a di@% is a di@% no matter how you look at it. I have been hunting as long or longer than you and understand the responsibility of a hunter and try to match my caliber with my game. Large calibers actually make you a worse shooter unless you have spent the time. I think my 300WSM kicks less than my 06, or .308, but that is beside the point. There is no doubt that someone with your expertise and marksmanship could handle a large elk at any distance. But we were not talking about you. Hey with enough bullets and someone to help you with your misses you may get lucky. Just a bit of education, the confirmed snipes at 1000+ yards was man sized game (humans), not thick skinned, thick boned animals like an elk. And I guarantee you they were not using factory ammo. So back to the thread at hand (300WSM not .308). Using factory ammo, the 300WSM is far superior than a .308, and I own both. I am sorry that you are surprised, but oh well. And for your record, I can afford a 400 class bull, relatively speaking its not that expensive, and I have max points and should draw in the next year or so.
Old 10-20-2007, 10:50 PM
Fork Horn

The reason I brought up 1000yrds shoots with the .308 was not for energy sake but you brought up balistics. The .308 can hit at that range with alot of practice. The .308 can kill an elk with no problem at 300 yrds. I was with a friend who guides here in utah, he wasguidingone of his friends daughters for her first elk. The elk she shot was at just over 125 yrds she shot it with her .243 (100gr factory load.) with one shoot it took maybe a dozen steps then fell over dead. /I waswith my dad when he shoot an elk at 400 yrds with his 30-06 ( 150gr sp) it droped right there. / I have a good friendwho went on a elk hunt with a guy from work and he had a limited entry tag. He shot a 320 bull at 170 yrds with a 300 ultra mag he shot it 2 times and it walked down a small gully andup the next hill. He shot again by now the bull was just over 200 yrds and after 2 more shots and the bull finally droped. 4 180 combined technology bullets from a 300 ultra mag which if you want to talk balistic beats the pants off the 300 wsm. All I mean and I think James B was trying to say is .308 will work with good shot placement.

Now as for your 400 class bull not being that expensive. Sure you have your bonus points and you might draw out. But the odds of you shooting a 400 class bull is very slim at best. My friend who guides just guided a guy who shot a 370 bull the guy was so greatful for a 370 bull he gave him his swarovski 10x42 EL's. With that said I hope you shoot a 400 class bull and prove me wrong youll have to post pics ifyou do.

Old 10-22-2007, 10:40 PM

There is no doubt a .308 can kill an elk. What is frustrating is that this is a 300 WSM thread not a .308. It really bugs when someone with “caliber envy” has to pipe up into a conversation w/o any relative input other than “look what I can do”. In reading your dribble, why don’t your shoot a .243 instead of a .308. Apparently it can kill and elk and has less recoil, and in less money too shoot. What I would do is put your money where your mouth is.

dmitchell28 started this thread wanting a bit of input on the status of a 300wsm based on owners opinion. I really doubt he cares about your thoughts on a .308. Otherwise he would have changed the name of the thread to “.308 is so cool tell me why” As far as your friend who guides? So what. He got a $1500 pair of EL’s for a 370+ limited entry in Utah? I would be embarrassed and give them back or refund the money. Mt Dutton, which I consider to be 4th or 5th in Utah produces 370+ bulls if you got the time and the patience, and that’s 4th or 5th! Don’t try to impress me with your knowledge of bulls in Utah. I have been hunting/studying them for 22 years. I never once said that I would shoot a large bull, but if the opportunity arise, I would much rather have a .308, than a .243 like your last post suggested.
Old 10-23-2007, 02:43 AM
Fork Horn

First off my post never suggested the use of a .243 and I do not suffer from cartridge envy. I have had them alot of calibers and been reloading for years. And If you would be embarrassed and give back a pair of 1,800 dollar EL's why don't you go ahead and buy the governors tag and give doyle moss a call next year with all your money, give them back give me a break.

I don't even shoot a .308 this all started when you posted this -

Does the same job? So does a 22lr, or even a Louisville slugger if you get close enough. But if you are talking ballistics, the 300WSM smokes the .308. Speed , energy, and wind drift, there is very little comparison.

Well I am done with this post as I am sure you are to NHF.

Old 10-23-2007, 06:00 PM
Spike

ORIGINAL: savagescout

Wow I don't mean to be a di@% here but if you can't hit a 400 class bull (and unless you are extremely lucky or very rich will never happen in your life time) at 300 yrds with a .308 there is no amount of ballistic out there that will make you a better shooter. confirmed kills in sniping with the 308 go way past 1,000 yrds. I think people need to step away from the computer and charts for a min. shoot your gun and find out what your gun will doa .308 in real world hunting will suprise the h&ll out of you. And again to each there own.
We are talking about ballistics at 300 yds. The 300 wsm carries alot more energy out there. Not taking anything away from the 308. There are alot of people out there that still use it. My 300 wsm shoots 6" high at 300 yds, and it is suppose to be 6" low at that range.
Old 10-24-2007, 12:22 AM

Name dropper!! Hah! Cant you come up with anything better than that! Please, now you are starting to get boring. I am glad you are done with this thread cause the dribble oozing from your keyboard has not made any sense. This thread was about some young chap who was excited about his gun, and wanted some input. Not from some wanna be who has a friend of a friend who was able to shoot a 370 elk. Let me tell you something, pal, if I was hunting a once-in-a-lifetime, which Utah almost is, I would definitely get a refund if my guide could only get me on a 370+ bull.

Governors tag! Thats rich, did mommy tell you that!
Old 09-10-2008, 08:19 AM

I know this is Funny, but I had forgot all about this thread and its been almost a whole year ago since i wrote it but if you guys are still on here and still reading all this. I want to tell you thanks for both of your good information on ballistics on both guns and everything. I put a little bit of thought into my gun before buying. I had heard great things about the 300WSM. but I was going to either get a .270 WSM or the .300WSM. cause we all know, no matter what is said, the .270 is probably one of the best guns you can buy. Its one caliber that you can litterally take anywhere and do anything with. But its like going out and buying a vehicle. You usually dont want to buy a ford f-150, if you know you can get a Ford F-150 Saleen. or a Dodge SRT-10, or a Chevy SS. (that should cover everyone). I have shot my rifle a little more now and I have actually taken it out and shot a box of shells at 300-600 yard shots, just messing around. Just offhand shooting, I was really surprised and excited of the outcome. It shot really smooth, really good for offhand long shots, and honestly after a box of shells, my arm wasnt killing me at all. So the kick or lack their of is good, the only downside is the BOOM. but hey, you buy them nice trucks, you go put flowmasters on it. LOL. So if anyone else is out here wanting to buy a .300wsm, it is a great bun and a good buy. you will be satisfied.

Quick Reply: whats the verdict on a .300WSM

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.