HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - whats the verdict on a .300WSM
View Single Post
Old 10-20-2007, 10:50 PM
savagescout
Fork Horn

Default RE: whats the verdict on a .300WSM

The reason I brought up 1000yrds shoots with the .308 was not for energy sake but you brought up balistics. The .308 can hit at that range with alot of practice. The .308 can kill an elk with no problem at 300 yrds. I was with a friend who guides here in utah, he wasguidingone of his friends daughters for her first elk. The elk she shot was at just over 125 yrds she shot it with her .243 (100gr factory load.) with one shoot it took maybe a dozen steps then fell over dead. /I waswith my dad when he shoot an elk at 400 yrds with his 30-06 ( 150gr sp) it droped right there. / I have a good friendwho went on a elk hunt with a guy from work and he had a limited entry tag. He shot a 320 bull at 170 yrds with a 300 ultra mag he shot it 2 times and it walked down a small gully andup the next hill. He shot again by now the bull was just over 200 yrds and after 2 more shots and the bull finally droped. 4 180 combined technology bullets from a 300 ultra mag which if you want to talk balistic beats the pants off the 300 wsm. All I mean and I think James B was trying to say is .308 will work with good shot placement.

Now as for your 400 class bull not being that expensive. Sure you have your bonus points and you might draw out. But the odds of you shooting a 400 class bull is very slim at best. My friend who guides just guided a guy who shot a 370 bull the guy was so greatful for a 370 bull he gave him his swarovski 10x42 EL's. With that said I hope you shoot a 400 class bull and prove me wrong youll have to post pics ifyou do.