Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Problem w/ 870 >

Problem w/ 870

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Problem w/ 870

Old 10-10-2007, 03:36 PM

Default Problem w/ 870

I have recently developed a problem with my 870 express magnum while shooting. The problem comes after I fire a round, it often ejects, and then jams on the insertion of the next round. It doesn't jam up so it doesn't move, it sends the next round low into the chamber so it does not go in. In other words the front of the shell hits the bottom part of the chamber. Also, it only does it when I cycle the actionquickly, if I do it slowly it loads fine. It acts as if the carrier does not raise the shell high enough, even tho it looks fine.

My thought on the problem may be that recently someone else was loading the gun and did not fully place the shell into the tube, the shell came back out, between the carrier and the bottom of the bolt with the action closed. I had to ever so slightly pry down on the carrier to relieve pressure to eject the shell. I didn't think this was enough to bend it, and it shows no sign of being bent, but it now has the above problem.

Any help of suggestions would be great as this significantly reducing my follow up shot timing. Thanks.
Old 10-10-2007, 05:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Problem w/ 870

You sprung it just enough that carrier is bent now. A whole lot easier way to clear it instead of prying is pop 2 pins out and remove whole trigger assembly. Now ya gotta try pryin it up.
Old 10-10-2007, 06:32 PM
Fork Horn

Open the action so the carrier is in the down position, turn it upsidedown on a padded table,get a piece of 1x4 or the handle of a small hammer, place it on the end of the carrier and bump it with your hand, " just hard enough to tweek it a little, not bend it". Check operation between hits, probably only take a couple of hits to get it back in time!.
Old 10-11-2007, 05:51 AM
Boone & Crockett

My honest opinion is to contact Remington for the nearest gunsmith and have him take a look at it. Especially before I go beating it. From what I gather you got this gun used and it may have been mistreated somehow. The carrier may be bent or you may have a weak spring which should only take a couple of minutes to replace. Or, there could be something else in the action which has been deformed from misuse or improper re-assembly.
The 870s are good solid shotguns and rarely malfunction except if abused or really, really dirty.
Old 10-14-2007, 10:51 AM

I agree the 870 is a great gun with few problems, which is what baffles me as to why I've got one. Thanks for the suggestions, any more are welcome.
Old 10-15-2007, 03:50 AM

I agree that youbent it. I somehowbent mine on a winchester and everything looked normal, but the timing was diffinetly off. The shells would fall right out the bottom.Ibent it up a little then it was doing what you describe, So I bent it a little more andit has never failed me again. I would trybending it back.

I used bent & bending for lack of better words to describe. It doesn't take much.
Old 10-15-2007, 07:08 AM
Typical Buck

Take it to a local gunsmith. Don't take chances with a firearm. If you don't know what your are doing leave it alone. Beating and bending and you are asking for problems! my 2 cents?
Old 10-15-2007, 07:43 AM

I'm in total agreement with the above post , have some one ( professional ) look at it . If for any thing , for safety sake, you don't know what could happen if you start tweaking some thing in there. The worse case scenario , would be a round being touched off by a deformed or miss aliened component.