Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 sighting in a 30-06 >

sighting in a 30-06

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

sighting in a 30-06

Old 09-16-2007, 10:38 PM

Default sighting in a 30-06

Hello, I bought one of those savage 111 packages, (that comes with the simmons scope), in 30-06 and tried to sight it in today. I started out at 25yards,and then went to100 yards, and was hitting all over the target. One shot would be 6 inches low, and then the other could be 4 inches to the left and 5 inches high.I tried doingadjustments but they didn't seem to work. I'm pretty sure I wasn't flinching. Any help on sighting in would be appreciated.I'm going tobe goingfor white-tails, mule deer, and moose thisfall.The bullets I were using were Federal: 30-06, 165 grain, trophybondedbear claws.
Old 09-16-2007, 11:11 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: sighting in a 30-06

Mark,

Couple of quick things to check...make sure all the screws are tightened on the scope base and rings (scopes can creep and make life miserable). Check to see if there is sufficient clearance between the front of the scope bell and the rifle barrel...there should be at the minimum the thickness of a dollar bill. Is the gun stock wood or synthetic? If it’s wood you could be having some contact between the barrel and the stock (could happen with the synthetic stock but I really wouldn't think so) and might need to be sanded down some and maybe freefloated and glass bedded. Just a couple of things to get you started…
Old 09-16-2007, 11:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

I would DEFINATELY remove all the screws associated with mounting the scope and lock-tie them. From what you are saying IMO you have something loose there.
Old 09-17-2007, 08:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

It sounds exactly like you have a loose scope.It will drive you crazy if the rings are a little bit loose.
Old 09-17-2007, 08:43 AM
Fork Horn

I bought the exact same package a while ago. It shot well out of the box but it shot better after a couple of boxes. Make sure you burnish your barrel: fire a couple of shots, clean it and repeat the procedure for about 1 box. But maybe it is me getting use to the rifle. I noticed the rifle shot really dirty for the first box but now it is relatively clean.

The scope mount / rings are not great. On my package, I had rings with only 2 screws. One screw at the bottom to tighten the ring to the mount and 1 screw at the top to tighten the scope. Not very good. I ended up replacing the mount/rings and scope. I have now a 2 piece Leupold mount and standard rings (make sure you use the extended ring otherwise you will have too much eye relief on the 111).

One more point, the synthetic stock can easily bend if you use the hasty sling as a shooting aid. Make sure you do not pull too hard on the sling.

Hope this help.
Old 09-17-2007, 06:22 PM
Fork Horn

I have the same rifle with the Accutrigger and scope. My rifle will shoot 5 shot groups anywhere from 1.5 to 3" at 100 yards. This is using some old Federal 150 gr stuff that somebody gave to me years ago. Just to prove that the rifle is intrinsically accurate, I loaded up some Sierra Matchkings and got the groups to an inch. Savage rifles are accurate, even with the cheap Simmons scope on it. Make sure everything is tight after each shot if you have to. If you really want tight groups you must allow time between shots for the barrel to cool. Sporter weight barrels heat up quick.
Old 09-17-2007, 07:24 PM

Sounds like your scope is dancing. Get some semi-permanent loc-tite or even clear nail polish and put it on the base and ring screws. Get close at 25 again and then head to 100 and see what happens.
Old 09-17-2007, 07:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

It may be loose mounts,but it could certainly be the scope as well since those scopes are of fairly low quality,and you may have gotten a defective one..
Old 09-17-2007, 11:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

I had the same problem with my sons 30-30 when we put a scope on it. After about 3 shots the thing started hitting all over the place. After about a box of shells I finally checked the screws and sure enough one side was loose. After retightening things the proper way, the gun shoots great and we where able to get it grouped in reasonably well.
Old 09-18-2007, 01:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: troutdudes

Hello, I bought one of those savage 111 packages, (that comes with the simmons scope), in 30-06 and tried to sight it in today. I started out at 25yards,and then went to100 yards, and was hitting all over the target. One shot would be 6 inches low, and then the other could be 4 inches to the left and 5 inches high.I tried doingadjustments but they didn't seem to work. I'm pretty sure I wasn't flinching. Any help on sighting in would be appreciated.I'm going tobe goingfor white-tails, mule deer, and moose thisfall.The bullets I were using were Federal: 30-06, 165 grain, trophybondedbear claws.
One cannot zero in a rifle unless it is shooting groups reasonably small. For whatever reason, yours was not! Thus, making ANY sight adjustments under such circumstances is just a drill in futility. Boy, did you poop off some expensive ammo, or what??

I recommend that, before you do anything at all to the gun, let a proven marksman (or woman!!) shoot it for you off the bench, just to make sure the poor performance was due to the gun, and not due to you!

You are "pretty sure" you were not flinching. If you were flinching, you'd KNOW IT! If in doubt, have a buddy help you, and do the old GI "ball and dummy" exercise with you. That'll sure reveal a flinch right off!

Quick Reply: sighting in a 30-06

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.