Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Custom Rifle Project >

Custom Rifle Project

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Custom Rifle Project

Old 01-09-2003, 06:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Custom Rifle Project

barrel contours usually range from #1 to #8 and typically the higher the number the heavier the barrel.....A previous post recommended a Brownell's catalog and you can see data for several contours in their catalog.

You can do far worse than .25-06 or 7-08.....even the .257 roberts is a great cartridge. You might get your trigger tripped over a 6.5MM-06

You have to decide on barrel length...carbine or 24".....maybe 21.5"...it's your gun!!!

I'll now make a strong recommendation.....either find a model 70 action to build your gun on, or go to a FFL dealer and order a new charles Daly (commercial mauser) action. It's available in different action lengths and it comes either blued, or in the white. It is drilled and tapped for scope mounts, has an adjustable trigger, has a hinged floorplate, has a altered bolt handle and a working safety. The commercial mauser is the thriftiest way out and it's a fine action. I'd never again build a gun from a '98 military Mauser action.

The Chas Daly is also available in barreled actions.....and they're a bargain.....but may not be what you want.

You wanted a deer cartridge and not a magnum. I'd suggest you pick from the .30-06 family or the .308 family and if wildcats are in your interest consider these: .243-06 .250-08, 6.5MM-06, 270-08, and I'm a fan of the .338-06.....!

I'd recommend against building your gun from a 1917 Enfield action, a springfield action.....but either is a strong reliable action.

I'm not sure what the budget is, but the Sako actions are fine quality stuff as well.....hey guy....you're going to have some bucks wrapped up in this thing.....and if you start with a Sako.....you'll end with a sako.....If you start with a '98 mauser, that what you end up with!!!