Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Rem 700 upgrade your opinions?? >

Rem 700 upgrade your opinions??

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Rem 700 upgrade your opinions??

Old 08-04-2007, 04:25 PM

Default Rem 700 upgrade your opinions??

Hello everyone, I Own a Remington 700 SPS in .270 and have been looking into transforming it into more of a tactical rifle. I wanted to add a removable external magazine to it but the only large capacity drop in kit I can find is the Kwik Klipz reciever housing. I have talked to a few people and have gotten mixed reviews so I thought I would bring the question to you all. Has anyone used this upgrade or know anything about it? Do you know of any other Long action magazine upgrade? I know Remington makes the BDL housing which i can drop in but the problem with that is that the largest remington mag i can find is 4-5 rounds where as the Kwik Klipz offers a 10 round magazine.

Also I have been looking in to upgrading the trigger to a lighter trigger with less creep. I dont want a hair trigger but just something better than what is offered by the stock. It doesnt have to be a drop in kit I could actually use some more gunsmithing practice :-)

ThanKs All
Old 08-04-2007, 05:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Rem 700 upgrade your opinions??

Check out Badger Ordance for the mag kit. Jewell or Timney for the trigger, or just adjust it yourself.
Old 08-04-2007, 05:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

that 700 trigger is adjustable for creep and pull...theres directions online if you look...i never tried it...be sure to test it many many times before you chamber a round..could slam fire. if you dont want it super light i think an Jewel would be overkill. timney prices arent bad...if you wanted an aftermarket trigger..

dont know about magazines...the only large capacity mags ive seen were clear plastic 10rd bannana style mags...but you should beable to atleast find a conversion kit for it to accept mags...
Old 08-04-2007, 08:05 PM
Fork Horn

As far as the mag conversion, you should be able to get the parts from Remington beings the make a D M rifle. As far as the trigger, get an aftermarket and instal it, keep the original incase there is a recall or your rifle needs warranty work, if it has the original trigger reworked it will void the warranty.
Old 08-04-2007, 10:17 PM

IMHO:
if you want to make it more "tactical, then either sell it, and buya Rem 700 PSS, or just buy a 700 PSS.

If that isn't an option, I really don't reccomend the detachable box mag. I have shot several Tactical Sniper competitions in Florida and the California, and have NEVER seen anybody that liked the box magazine set up.

As for your trigger, you are lucky. Remington has one of the finest factory triggers around. That is just my opinion. ( i know, there will be somebody that likes savages Accutrigger better, but we ARE talking about a Remington here) Remington Triggers are very easy to adjust. There are only 2 screws.With a little fine tuning, you can take themdown nice and light. I had mineset at a nice crisp, 2 1/4 lbs with zero creep. It has been about 6 years since I have worked a Remington Trigger, so i won't lie to you and tell you which screw does what. If you are not comfortable doing it yourself, then take it to a local gunsmith and ask them to. It shouldn't take but maybe 20 minutes to do, and if you go to a local "mom and pop" shop you probably won't pay more than 20-30 to get it done. Stay away from the big stores gunsmiths...ie gander mountain, cabellas...etc. I am sure that they do really good work, their reputation depends on it, but you can get the same trigger work done probably better by some old guy in his gunshop at the range. There are some gunshops that won't take your trigger below 3-4 lbs. I can't remember which it is. Most factories void their warranty if you take it too light, or they pass the liability to the gunsmith if they go below the minimum factory trigger pull. That is something that you need to know as well. In your case, I really would not spend the money to buy a new trigger to replace the Remington Trigger. Wasted money.

I hope that this helps some.
Old 08-04-2007, 10:51 PM

I agree in full with kdvollmer. The Remington triggers are about the best trigger straight fromt the factory with the exception of the Accu-Trigger, but no one can really touch that thing. It's very easy to adjust the trigger and you might as well do it yourself. Around here at least it's either very expensive or not at all possible to find a gun smith to do it. The magazine doesn't seem needed to me I guess. I understand wanting more rounds but sometimes you run into problems doing things like that. As far as the tactical look. Put a big scope with a big sunshade on it and a bipod and it's pretty close to tactical without spending big bucks and not really gaining much.
Old 08-05-2007, 05:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Badger is the best for the DM kit.