Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 always looking to upgrade. (help) >

always looking to upgrade. (help)

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

always looking to upgrade. (help)

Old 08-25-2003, 02:57 PM

Default always looking to upgrade. (help)

I am not looking for a whats better answer. just some input. i shoot a 99 pse durango and like the bow, i have to put some money into it this season so i thought it would a good time to upgrade. so i am looking at the pse nitro, ar 31, bowtech, and legacy. money is always a issue, and i have only had a chance to shoot the ar 31, so i thought i would ask you all for your help. have you compared these bow or do i stick with the durango? thanks all
Old 08-25-2003, 03:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: always looking to upgrade. (help)

I can' t comment on those specific bows, but when I look to make a purchase, it must be to gain something. What do you plan/want to gain, and will the listed bows do it?

Based on my current bow, it will probably be several years before I see enough gain in technology to warrant an upgrade. If I' m not gaining a lot, I won' t buy...
Old 08-25-2003, 07:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

The AR 31 looks really cool but I wasn' t all that impressed with its shooting. I think I' d look hard at the Bowtech Patriot or less expensive Bowtech Extreme VFT. The Mathews you mentioned the Legacy is very good and if your looking at Mathews you must consider the new FX. I' m not at all familiar with the PSE' s.

Shoot them all and the decision will be easy. One will feel comfortable for you.

Good Luck!
Old 08-26-2003, 05:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

MATHEWS new bow is the LX.
Old 08-26-2003, 05:50 AM
Boone & Crockett

Though I might catch some flack for this, the Durango' s design is basically along the same lines as the Mathews MQ1, MQ32, etc... Those were the first few bows that started to utilize more parallel limb designs and a larger idler in conjunction with a rounder perimeter weighted style single cam.

So, look at what is out there now to compare it to. The Legacy and LX both still offer roughly the same parallel limb design, though more exaggerated to increase the effect, and the basically the same style of oversized idler and round perimeter weighted style single cam. Have there been improvements? Yes, definitely. But are those improvements " significantly" better than what you are currently shooting? No, not necessarily. About the only thing that new bows have over yours is that they are a bit quieter right from the factory due to the limb/cam mounted string and riser dampeners.

If you are looking for an " upgrade" then I would try to find a bow that offered better quality components and/or a different (slightly or greatly) cam design that offered more speed, a smoother draw or some other benefit that will show a significant difference from what you are currently shooting.

As to the bows in question....though I was impressed with the intricate attention to detail on the AR bows I would probably go with the 34 model instead of the 31 simply because of the slightly more forgiving design while still giving you many of the benefits of a shorter axle to axle length bow.

The Nitro, though very well made, does not really give you anything that you do not already have in terms of design or specific benefits due to the bow' s shooting characteristics.

You did not specify which Bowtech model but assuming you were looking at some of the more popular ones...Pat DC, EXVFT, Pat SC, Pro 40, etc.... I would say that they will be of roughly the same riser/limb configuration but with a somewhat stiffer drawing cam that offers substantially more speed than what you are currently shooting.

Hope this helps some.