Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 300 Ultra Mag for Brown Bear >

300 Ultra Mag for Brown Bear

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

300 Ultra Mag for Brown Bear

Old 08-05-2007, 09:00 AM

Default RE: 300 Ultra Mag for Brown Bear

I have a suggestion, if you are worried about getting eaten by a large bear stay out of it's back yard and don't shoot at it. I don't care what kind of gun you have it does not garauntee a one shot stop. Shooting large dangerous game is... well, dangerous.

I never get this argument when there are people that kill large dangerous game with slug guns, muzzle loaders and bows. I mean I guess if you want to shoot it from 500 yards away, hit it in the foot and have it drop dead than an ultra high powered rifle might be in the cards. But don't sit there and tell us that you HAVE to have that big of a rifle to kill game like that. There have been plenty of animals like that taken cleanly with a 30-06 and lesser cartridges.

My opinion anyway, but then again I don't hunt bear, for the reason stated above. I don't feel like getting eaten by one. Same reason I don't swim in the ocean. I have a pact with sharks, they stay out of my back yard and I'll stay out of theirs.

Paul
Old 08-06-2007, 07:45 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: robbcayman

Why would you go for a lower powered rifle against his suggestion? Anyways, to prove my point go to youtube and type in grizzly hunt and cabelas and you will see where a guy shot a brown bear and another bear charges him. The hunter shoots the charging bear. Now, imagine having a lower powered rifle in that scenario and getting injured or killed.

As to the guy who said would I rather have someone with a higher powered rifle who has only shot it a few times versus his regular gun. Well, it is your own fault if you don't practice enough with a new gun, especially hunting brown bears.
I think you're missing the point that the .300 RUM is not a "lower powered rifle."

By the way... watched the youtube video. That must have been pretty exciting...

But, they don't say what cartridge either of those guys was using. For all we know... coulda been a .243.
Old 08-06-2007, 03:48 PM
Fork Horn

Just use great bullets...X-bullets, partitions etc..do not attempt this with off the shelf factory loaded junk bullets..the jackets are to thin...REMEMBER your on the menu when hunting these beasts.....shoot straight and practice on cardboard cutouts..should have been doing this all summer, but better late than never..GOOD LUCK and know where the kill area is from all angles....send the guide first into the alders to retrieve and make sure your faster than the camera man... more than enough energy. lots have been killed by 30/30's a few riflemen have been eaten also....
Old 08-06-2007, 04:18 PM
Typical Buck

I had a 14 day hunt in the Yukon in 1994 and it turned out my"guide" had never set foot in the Yukon until shortly before I showed up.Hired him sight unseen to cover the number of hunters.He was scared of his ass of bears and was fired for cowardice in a bear situation 2 weeks later.I shot a 15.5 year old sow and he was none too crazy about stalking it so I left him 1/2 way down the mountain as I didn't come that far to watch wildlife at a safe distance.He had a German hunter with him and a big boar walked out at less than 25 yards and the guide just about soiled himself and forbade the hunter to shoot.He's lucky he wasn't butstroked...........When he got back to camp and the German talked to the owner he was fired on the spot............Harold
Old 08-06-2007, 05:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: ipscshooter

Why would you go for a lower powered rifle against his suggestion? Anyways, to prove my point go to youtube and type in grizzly hunt and cabelas and you will see where a guy shot a brown bear and another bear charges him. The hunter shoots the charging bear. Now, imagine having a lower powered rifle in that scenario and getting injured or killed.

As to the guy who said would I rather have someone with a higher powered rifle who has only shot it a few times versus his regular gun. Well, it is your own fault if you don't practice enough with a new gun, especially hunting brown bears.
I think you're missing the point that the .300 RUM is not a "lower powered rifle."

By the way... watched the youtube video. That must have been pretty exciting...

But, they don't say what cartridge either of those guys was using. For all we know... coulda been a .243.
Acutally that was a 22 cartridge j/k Agree to disagree, but I honestly have the guys best interest at heart. No matter what hunt safe and have fun.
Old 08-06-2007, 06:38 PM
DM

I honestly have the guys best interest at heart.
No problem, i'd just like to see you back up your "best interest" with some facts... (read proof)

DM
Old 08-07-2007, 10:11 AM

I think a 300 weatherby mag w/np will do the job. There is a 220 grain round nose for heavy bone stuff. I would think a 300 rum would be more than enough, shot placement is the key.
Old 08-07-2007, 10:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: DM

No problem, i'd just like to see you back up your "best interest" with some facts... (read proof)

DM
Sure, a larger cartridge leaves a larger hole there is your proof. This is not to say you need a cannon, but I would go with someone who is a professional i.e. a guide over your "message board" advice.
Old 08-07-2007, 10:55 AM
Boone & Crockett

Acutally that was a 22 cartridge j/k
Don't laugh... it's possible. There's a picture of a lady at the site below, who killed a huge grizzly in self defense using a .22 (her story is about 1/8th down the page).

http://www.brassmonkeyproductions.com/grizzly/Part3.html
Old 08-07-2007, 11:14 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: DM

DM
Sure, a larger cartridge leaves a larger hole there is your proof. This is not to say you need a cannon, but I would go with someone who is a professional i.e. a guide over your "message board" advice.
I'm not sure that a 3/100ths" larger hole is significant. The concern is, and I think should be, penetration, as the "size of hole" difference between a .308 caliber bullet and a .338 caliber bullet is pretty miniscule. Thus, the question becomes whether a 200 gr. "premium-type" bullet out of the .300 RUM hitting with 3800 ft. lbs. of energy will penetrate as well as a 220 gr. or 250 gr. "premium-type" bullet out of a .338 WMhitting with 3500 ft. lbs. of energy. What is their relative propensity to break through bone?

Keep in mind that in that youtube video, those guys were, originally, BOWHUNTING for grizzlies, and only decided to use the rifles based on weather. I can't believe that there might be guides out there who would say, "I'll take you bowhunting for bears, but, if you want to use a rifle, leave your .300 RUM at home because I won't hunt with you unless you're using at least a .338 WM."

Quick Reply: 300 Ultra Mag for Brown Bear

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.