Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 300 Ultra Mag for Brown Bear >

300 Ultra Mag for Brown Bear

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

300 Ultra Mag for Brown Bear

Old 08-02-2007, 09:55 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: 300 Ultra Mag for Brown Bear

340 weatherby, yikes!!! I spose there around $120 a box these days.
Old 08-02-2007, 09:56 PM

Now I have never hunted bears, but I know one thing for certain. Listen to your guide. Sure, we have all read the articles of that one hunt that somebody had, and the .300 was good. And we have seen the TV programs too. What is not being taken into consideration here is that you guide knows where he is taking you, and I am pretty sure it is not the same place you read about, or saw on TV. Might be close, but still different. It is quite possible, if he is a really good guide, that he has his "I keep this place secret spot" where he sees lots of BIG bears. He has to figure, if he can put you on a bigger than normal bear, then, his tip, and referrals will be better.
Bears, just like every other critter are going to vary by size quiet a bit based on where they live. Their diet may have some similarities it will make a difference. Even just 10-15 miles down the road. Higher elevation better supply of fish...etc.
Take the advice of the guide on this one. He knows what is out in "HIS" part of the woods.
And, for what it's worth.... I am jealous as hell that you get to hunt up there.
Old 08-03-2007, 07:00 AM
DM

Now I have never hunted bears, but I know one thing for certain. Listen to your guide. Sure, we have all read the articles of that one hunt that somebody had, and the .300 was good. And we have seen the TV programs too. What is not being taken into consideration here is that you guide knows where he is taking you, and I am pretty sure it is not the same place you read about, or saw on TV. Might be close, but still different. It is quite possible, if he is a really good guide, that he has his "I keep this place secret spot" where he sees lots of BIG bears. He has to figure, if he can put you on a bigger than normal bear, then, his tip, and referrals will be better.
Bears, just like every other critter are going to vary by size quiet a bit based on where they live. Their diet may have some similarities it will make a difference. Even just 10-15 miles down the road. Higher elevation better supply of fish...etc.
Trust me, 15 miles down the coast isn't make any difference to a brown bear... He may just wonder down there just to see if it's still there...

Put that 300 in my hands loaded with 200NP's and i don't give a dam how big a bear comes by, he will be anchored!! And yes i have flattened more than one brown bear...

DM
Old 08-03-2007, 08:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Put that 300 in my hands loaded with 200NP's and i don't give a dam how big a bear comes by, he will be anchored!! And yes i have flattened more than one brown bear...

DM
[/quote]

I believe you, but I consider it rude to ignore what your guide has asked you to do. If the bear charges you he wants to ensure that the bear will be stopped in its tracks. Plus, I consider it arrogant to come into a professional's work place and act like you know more than they do. Just follow what your guide says and you won't be sorry.
Old 08-03-2007, 09:19 AM
Boone & Crockett

Or find a guide who agrees that the .300 RUMwill do as much or more to a bear than a .338 WM...

I consider it arrogant to come into a professional's work place and act like you know more than they do.
I seem to recall an oil change being done on my Mustang a couple years ago. The "professional" mechanic (complete with ASE certificates on his wall) had his wrench on the oil pan drainplug, and was pulling and pulling on the wrench, but couldn't get drain plug loose... I had to point out to the "professional" that he was trying to turn it the wrong way... I guess maybe I'm a bit too arrogant...
Old 08-03-2007, 05:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

.338-.378 Weatherby and go get yourself a bear.
Old 08-03-2007, 06:22 PM
c j
Typical Buck

I've never hunted big bears before, so I'm not exactly the utmost authority, but, personally, I'd think a 300 RUM would take down pretty much anything on our continent.

However, if the guide says he prefers a bigger bore, I think that's a perfect reason to go out and get a 375 Ruger.

Old 08-03-2007, 07:59 PM
DM

I consider it arrogant to come into a professional's work place and act like you know more than they do.
Ask that same guide, what he prefers.... A guy with a "properly loaded" 300 mag. that he's been hunting with and shooting for a few years, or a guy with a new "higher recoiling" rifle he's not use to...

DM
Old 08-03-2007, 08:24 PM
Fork Horn

show up wiht a 470 nitro u will be good i got family in kodiak and they tell me 300's are a minuin locals use them but dont recomend them for out ofstate hunters me if i had the funds for a ideal trip and rifle 375 ultra distance and power not saying u have 2 have that i would go wiht a 300 loaded wiht right bullets but at least a 338 would be nicer

Old 08-03-2007, 08:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've never been on a guided hunt, but wouldn't the guide have a large magnum backup gun? Would a guide back down on his minimum caliber restrictions if you held your ground and brought the 300 RUM, or would he cancel the hunt? Just thinkin' outloud because I don't pretend to know the answers.

I do know if I was a guide taking hunters with varying skill levels, I'd damn sure have something to stop that bear. But I don't even go to the 7-11 without packin".

Quick Reply: 300 Ultra Mag for Brown Bear

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.