HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 300 Ultra Mag for Brown Bear
View Single Post
Old 08-07-2007, 11:14 AM
ipscshooter
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: 300 Ultra Mag for Brown Bear

ORIGINAL: robbcayman

ORIGINAL: DM

I honestly have the guys best interest at heart.
No problem, i'd just like to see you back up your "best interest" with some facts... (read proof)

DM
Sure, a larger cartridge leaves a larger hole there is your proof. This is not to say you need a cannon, but I would go with someone who is a professional i.e. a guide over your "message board" advice.
I'm not sure that a 3/100ths" larger hole is significant. The concern is, and I think should be, penetration, as the "size of hole" difference between a .308 caliber bullet and a .338 caliber bullet is pretty miniscule. Thus, the question becomes whether a 200 gr. "premium-type" bullet out of the .300 RUM hitting with 3800 ft. lbs. of energy will penetrate as well as a 220 gr. or 250 gr. "premium-type" bullet out of a .338 WMhitting with 3500 ft. lbs. of energy. What is their relative propensity to break through bone?

Keep in mind that in that youtube video, those guys were, originally, BOWHUNTING for grizzlies, and only decided to use the rifles based on weather. I can't believe that there might be guides out there who would say, "I'll take you bowhunting for bears, but, if you want to use a rifle, leave your .300 RUM at home because I won't hunt with you unless you're using at least a .338 WM."