Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Hornady Light Mag vs Custom >

Hornady Light Mag vs Custom

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Hornady Light Mag vs Custom

Old 07-29-2007, 05:14 PM
Fork Horn

Default Hornady Light Mag vs Custom

I recently bought a Browning A-bolt Composite Stalker .270, and after firing Federal, Winchester and Hornady ammo, the Hornady 130 gr. SST ammo grouped the best at 3/4" @ 100 yds. I am thinking of trying the Light Mag 130 gr. Interbond. Can anyone give some info on it as far as accuracy and effectiveness for Whitetail and other big game?
Old 07-30-2007, 12:38 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Hornady Light Mag vs Custom

Personally, I've never found the "Light Mags" to be as accurate on average as the standards.

I perfer...
[ol][*]Federal Vital Shocks[*]Winchester Premium[*]Remington Corelokts & Winchester Power Points[/ol]
Old 07-30-2007, 03:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would suggest using Federal Powershoks, they may shoot well out of your rifle, they shoot great out of mine, and they're cheaper, they're basicly like Core-Loks, but higher velocity.

I honestly have heard absolutely nothing good about Hornady Light Magnums,if you want an expensive bullet, go with Winchester XP3 ammo.
Old 07-30-2007, 06:29 AM

I shoot Hornady Light Mags in 7mm-08 and .308 and they work great for me. One shot kills and they don't travel far if they travel at all.

Accuracy is as good as , or better , than many other premium brand ammos I have tried.

Just get a box and try them for yourself. Every gun is different and likes different things.

Good luck.

Old 07-30-2007, 10:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have shot Hornady Customs and Light Magnums both in my 270 and have had good accuracy and terminal performance with both.
Old 07-31-2007, 08:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: rshunter32

I recently bought a Browning A-bolt Composite Stalker .270, and after firing Federal, Winchester and Hornady ammo, the Hornady 130 gr. SST ammo grouped the best at 3/4" @ 100 yds. I am thinking of trying the Light Mag 130 gr. Interbond. Can anyone give some info on it as far as accuracy and effectiveness for Whitetail and other big game?
The Light magnum, as well as Federal High-Energy ammo. is plenty effective enough. But I have been disappointed by the accuracy of the loads I tried-they only shot about 2.5 MOA, as opposed to the 1 MOA or smaller groups I was getting with the same guns using handloaded ammo.(Good enough for hunting, however!!)

I only tried two boxes of .30/'06 165-grain HE Federals. I rarely fire factory loads, and when I do, it is usually just to get some empty brass for reloading....
Old 07-31-2007, 10:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

The Custom Hornady will do all that needs to be done to a whitetail...

Why pay more??? You have plenty of gun, I have killed over 80 whitetails with a 100 grain CoreLokt in .243...

If you move up to elk, move up to a 150 grain .270 bullet...
Old 07-31-2007, 11:19 AM
DGH

I shoot the Light Mags in my .308, my 30-06, and in my 7 Rem Mag and love them. However, given your hunting area, I agree with Hawkeye - if you are hunting an area where the .243 is adequate, you don't need the additional 1,200 fps. As to accuracy, they all shoot well out of my rifles - sub MOA, and due to their fairly recent manufacture, I have pretty much quit reloading since I get the velocity I need / want for hunting out west (lots of long range shooting here). My advice, buy a box of several different manufacturers amunition and shoot the one that groups best out of your weapon. OH, and the velocity thing is mostly in our minds :-) Neither you, nor the deer, can tell the difference between 2,810 fps and 3,000fps at threehundred yards. I shoot higher velocity because we do have some 400 + yard shooting and I want the extra energy out of the 150 grain bullets I shoot - again, maybe just a mind thing, but I feel better about it.
Old 07-31-2007, 02:27 PM
XTP

My Savage (in .270 Win) gets fed nothing but Hornady 140 gr SST's now, but I was using the the InterLock in 140 gr prior to that.
Some do find a decrease in accuracy with the light mags but you would have to try them for yourself.
Average groups @ 100 m are all less than 1".