Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Hornady Light Mags

Old 04-05-2005, 10:04 AM

Default Hornady Light Mags

Has anyone had experience with the Hornady light mags, paticularly .270. How do they shoot, and are they worth the money. Thanks
Old 04-05-2005, 10:15 AM
bigcountry

Default RE: Hornady Light Mags

It is an extreme compressed load. Most rifles don't like them. Especially those with small pencil barrels. It most likely will have sufficent hunting performance. But I would recommend you stay with the standard Hornady stuff.

I tried some 270 long time ago, and got 4" groups from my 7400. I can get 1.5" with handloads. I figured it was just the gun.

So Hornady sent me a new box of 308 due to a friend had trouble with them shooting in his model 7. So I figure why not send them back and then I could evaluate them. I did, and they sent me a new box. So I tried it in three different guns. Two A-Bolts, and a FN APR tactical rifle (that is the best tack driver I ever shot). None would get below 2.5MOA at 100 yards. I wouldn't waste the money.

Old 04-05-2005, 10:55 AM

I have a 20 yr. old 700 BDL 30-06 that really shines with the 165 gr. Light Magnum. Have two buddies having good luck with the .300 Win. Mag. Heavy Magnum. If you are not a handloader it is worth buying a box for experiment. If your rifle likes them it is an inexpensive way to step up to the next performance level without buying a different rifle. Be prepared for a noticeable increase in recoil.
Old 04-05-2005, 09:10 PM

The 270 has always been a fine accurate bullet with it BC&SD/ Guns that are bolt actions will shoot more accurate than auto or ppumps as well. Figur out what you want and what your going to hu;nt then go from there. The standard 270 Win is hard to beat,and shell aren,t out of sight llike some of these new magnums.If you don,t rreload. vangunsmith
Old 04-05-2005, 10:22 PM
bigcountry

vangun, settle down, just giving my experience with them in 4 different guns.

Old 04-06-2005, 02:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

IMO they arent worth it, Besides i dont think a dead deer knows the difference of a few hundred FPS or a live deer for that matter. also i have read that they burn up barrels faster then standard loads
Old 04-06-2005, 06:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

My own observations at the range have shown that the velocities are usually below the claimed numbers and the accuracy can be very poor with some rifles.
Old 04-06-2005, 08:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

My own observations at the range have shown that the velocities are usually below the claimed numbers and the accuracy can be very poor with some rifles.
My exact experience with both Hornady and Federal
Old 04-15-2005, 05:27 PM
jjo

you need to try them in your gun and see how they shoot

jjo
Old 04-16-2005, 08:59 AM
bigcountry

you need to try them in your gun and see how they shoot
jjo, how did they shoot in your guns?

Quick Reply: Hornady Light Mags

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.