Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

distructive recoil

Old 06-29-2007, 08:55 AM

Default RE: distructive recoil

I'm with Eldeguello on this one. He beat me to it. You should not have been that far off to begin with. You should have had it boresighted before you started sighting it in. I always try to get mounts that can be adjusted for windage. This way I can bore sight my scopes and have them pretty darn close before I start firing live rounds through them.

I had a buddy do this with his 870 slug gun. He threw a scope on it and went out to sight it in. He had to adjust it so much he actually ruined the scope (it can be done). He came over to my house to see what I thought and I told him the scope was toast pretty much, but he might be able to send it in and get it fixed.

I loaned him a scope and bore sighted for him real quick in my back yard. No fancy tools or anything, just looked down the barrel at a target with it in a rest and made a few adjustment. I had to shim the mounts and file some metal off the sides. I don't think the cantilever mount was very true to the barrel to be honest. We took it out a week later and it was only off 2 inches at 50 yards on the first shot. He was rather impressed.

Most gun shops will do this service fairly cheap. Even if it costs more than you think it should when you factor in the price of a scope and ammo for a centerfire it is usually worth it in the long run.

Paul
Old 07-01-2007, 02:38 PM
Typical Buck

I took the scope mounts and scope mounting bracket off and put it all back on very carefully to make sure that I dont put it on off set or anything. Took it out and after a couple shots I got it sighted in, I guess there must have been somthing not lined up or somthing the first time I did it because its shooting fine and holding up so far. I gave you the wrong name of the scope, it's a barska. I think Im going to leave it on, I just hope nothing happens down the road.
Old 07-01-2007, 03:56 PM
Typical Buck

I've seen crosshairs fall out of a new Tasco scope within the first 10 shots on a .270 Win and the same on a Simmons mounted on a 30-06. None for me thanx! Harold