Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 distructive recoil >

distructive recoil

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

distructive recoil

Old 06-28-2007, 06:39 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: distructive recoil

OK, I have been right where you are in this situation. These guys here are regretfully right about scopes. I bought a simmons scope 4 years ago, mounted it on a 270 semi auto and it wouldnt hold center and the eye relief was soo bad I kept getting bopped in the eye. Really messed my shooting abilities up. So, I ended up getting a nikon pro-staff (about 140 bucks) and have never looked back since. Spend 50 to 70 bucks more. Wait and save the money up if you dont have it right now. The best optics arent an option for us younger poorer guys, but acceptable optics are. Lots of options for 100 to 150 bucks.

Good options are some of the bushnels (100 bucks or more)
Pentax game seeker (I have one, I got it for 100 bucks, made by burris)
Nikon pro-staffs are going for 130-140 nearly everywhere
Low end leupold's are just under or around 200
burris are closer to 200 but excellent quality for the money
Good luck bro! EJ
Old 06-28-2007, 12:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

It would make sense to me to get a scope good enough that you will not ever feel the need to move up from. If you get a bargain scope,it will let you down,usually at the worst possible moment. Get quality to begin with and you'll never have to remove it again because of it going "bad".
Old 06-28-2007, 02:13 PM
Fork Horn

IMHO, there are too many really good quality scopes on closeout to settle for a < $100 bargain basement model. Weaver Grand Slam, Bushnell 3200, Browning, Nikon Monarchs (or heck, even the Buckmaster & Prostaffs!), can all be had for $140 to $200 if you look around.

There's an astounding quality difference when you jump up to these models. However, when you go up in price from that level, the quality differences come much more slowly.

Look around & check out some different models. You might be surprised how much better of a scope can be had for just a few extra sheckels.

FC
Old 06-28-2007, 05:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

I once put a Bushnell 3200 on a .300 Weatherby and the crosshairs broke after 20-30 shots!!!! I took it back to the gun shop and went back to Leupold. Live and learn...[]
Old 06-28-2007, 05:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

If $200 bucks is the line for a cheap scope then buy a Nikon. You won't be disappointed. Monarchs 3x9x40 are less than $200 and worth every penny. I've had one on my 7 mm mag for years and hundreds of rounds with no problems at all. The variable adjustment also works just fine in real cold weather. This is a problem that I have had with some scopes.
Old 06-28-2007, 07:20 PM
Typical Buck

I went out to sight in my gun today, my eighty-dollar cheapo, and that is what it seems to be turning out to be. Well, I took my first shot and it hit about five feet to the right. So I adjusted it to the left a lot of clicks and hit about three feet to the right. Seem to be looking pretty good, so I adjusted it alot more clicks untill I had it as far as it would adjust to the right. Took the shot and it is about a foot and a half to the right and I cant adjust it to the left any further. I never would of guessed this would be my problem, never had this problem with even cheaper scopes. Can you explain what I can do, if anything, to fix this. Im going to probably exchange it for a more high quality and high dollar scope. I bought a bushnell banner for my 243 last year and love it and it was about $175.0
Old 06-29-2007, 06:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Roadkillwarrior

I just bought a new scope for my 30-06, a Barsika. The guy told me it is made for high powered rifles and should hold up. I was talking to a friend who has had a problem with the recoil destoying the cross hairs. Is there a certain kind of scope I should buy to prevent this?
Any reasonable quality scope made for a high-powered rifle should stand up to the recoil of a mere .30/'06! But if you want to know FOR SURE that it will, buy a Leupold! However, the new Weavers, the Burris's, the higher-quality Bushnells, the Redfields, etc., all will serve as well.

In addition, if you are not looking to go broke for a good scope, take a look at some of the older ones on e-bay! They often have older, US-made steel-tube Weaker K-models,Lyman All-Americans and older Redfields, listed for very little. And these old scopes, if in good condition, are still very good choices!
Old 06-29-2007, 06:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: HighDesertWolf

barska is actually the company thats makes the lenses for tasco, simmons and weaver.

When it comes to withstanding recoil force, it is the MECHANICAL part of the scope ass3mbly that is significant, not the lenses. I have seen scopes that gave very good definition and view quality that could not take more than a couple of rounds of 6.5X55mm recoil!
Old 06-29-2007, 06:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Roadkillwarrior

I went out to sight in my gun today, my eighty-dollar cheapo, and that is what it seems to be turning out to be. Well, I took my first shot and it hit about five feet to the right. So I adjusted it to the left a lot of clicks and hit about three feet to the right. Seem to be looking pretty good, so I adjusted it alot more clicks untill I had it as far as it would adjust to the right. Took the shot and it is about a foot and a half to the right and I cant adjust it to the left any further. I never would of guessed this would be my problem, never had this problem with even cheaper scopes. Can you explain what I can do, if anything, to fix this. Im going to probably exchange it for a more high quality and high dollar scope. I bought a bushnell banner for my 243 last year and love it and it was about $175.0
Sir, this is NOT a scope problem, it is a mounting problem! A different scope is NOT likely to solve this problem!

You need to center the scope reticle using the internal adjustments, then the scope should be adjusted in the MOUNT so that the scope is pointed as close to the spot the bore is pointing at ("boresighted")as is possible BEFORE you even touchinternal scope adjustment knobs. The internal adjustments are basically for making the last, fine adjustments when you are firing for zeroing.

If your scope is currently mounted in a mount which permits windage adjustments, such as the Redfield Jr.(Leupold) type that has windage screws in the rear mount, this is easy to do. Otherwise, you may need to use shims in the mount to get the scope pointed correctly.

If you can't do this yourself, consult a good gunsmith, or at least a friend who knows how to put a scope on a rifle! It is no big deal, but one does need to have some idea of what the problem is, and how to proceed!
Old 06-29-2007, 06:51 AM

My bushnell 3200 has handled my .300 win mag without any issues. My Nikon Prostaff has handled my savage ML, even when loaded to recoil similar to the .300 win mag. I would recommend both scopes. I have also heard many good things about the Burris Fullfield II's as well.

Quick Reply: distructive recoil

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.