Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 measuring groups.. >

measuring groups..

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

measuring groups..

Old 06-29-2007, 06:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default measuring groups..

today i finally got to fire the 22-250 groundhog rig from the bench for the first time.

i originally sighted in the junk 4-12 scope that came on it from about 70yds from my shooting sticks.

today i finally got my leupold VX-II 6-18x40AOT so i went to the range to sight er in.

my 3 boxes of ballistic tips didnt arrive yet but i couldnt wait a week(order got messed up) for my ammo so i went and bought a 40rd box of 50gr JHP remingtom UMC ammo. figured it was probably junk...but will allow me to get my rifle sighted in(with it atleast) and give me range and hunting time for the week...

only took 5rds to sight it in at 50yds(not bad for boresighting it by looking through the bore!) 100yds i have a 3 and a 4 shot group. both groups are dang near exzactly 1" from far outside edge to the farthest outside edge...the 3 shot group im dissappointed in...i threw the 2nd shot..

but i always hear of guys measuring center to center.

whats the proper way to measure a group?? what is the way everyone accepts and uses?? i always did it outside edge to outside edge..but i think im wrong and cheating myself...

either way id call them decint groups for a factory rifle, less than ideal conditions, junk ammo and a bore with only 60rds through it...

just curious..i could care less...im not a paper puncher yet...im a groundhog hunter all that matters to me is the confirmed kill count
Old 06-29-2007, 06:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: measuring groups..

Measure from outside edge to outside edge of the two shots farthest apart and subtract one bullet diameter.This in effect gives you the center to center measurement.Judge a load based on at least a few groups not on one or two groups.Count every shot and average the size of all of the groups.
Old 06-29-2007, 08:12 PM
Fork Horn

That'll get you a ruff idea but if you get benchrest serious you'll need a set of bullet plugs and a microscope..go to an organized match and watch it one time..it is rocket science!!
Old 06-29-2007, 08:18 PM

Outside edge to outside edge. It's the easiest and most reliable measure.
Old 06-29-2007, 08:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

CTC is as far as I know, the recognized method of measurement. Stubblejumper gave you the best way to do it, which leaves a little room for measurement judgement. Frank is correct with the serious competition approach. Just be sure when measuring your groups that you are honest with yourself. And as far as I am concerned, "flyers" count. Also, I'm a firm believer in 5-shot groups. Nothing less.
Old 06-30-2007, 12:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

CTC - Ditto to what Stubblejumper already posted
Old 06-30-2007, 06:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

thanx guys...i knew there was a proper way...

looks like i own a sub MOA rifle...even with flyers figure my groups are roughly .70-.75"...

my 4 shot group was smaller than the 3..my 5th shot on that target was my first and was dead high because i just moved to 100. i zeroed it at 100 and shot the last 4..should have put a 5th shot in there. the 1st and 3rd shot of my 3shot group were nice...but i threw the second shot. didnt even have to look, i knew i threw it.

with trigger work i will shoot the gun even better. not sure what it breaks at from the factory but its pretty stiff...not too creepy but stiff.

i have a feeling the ballistic tips will shoot even better next weekend...just better quality ammo and better bullets...

all in all im happy with my new SPS varmint...good shootin rifle. with a good trigger it should be a shooter...shootin good for being stock..

maybe i'll find some local amature club shoots to goto..been hearing alot about groundhog match(paper) and egg shoots..think that would be fun..and give me an excuse to shoot.

going to get me some groundhogs today....i'll try to get pics of the rifle with the new scope on it..
Old 06-30-2007, 10:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

looks like i own a sub MOA rifle...even with flyers
I call a rifle a sub MOA rifle when the average of many groups is under MOA.I don't call a rifle a sub NOA after it shoots one or two sub MOA groups.
Old 06-30-2007, 09:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

i say if it happened more than once that it is! lol...

no i understand fully what you mean...your definently correct...but i really think this rifle is a shooter...shot well under less than ideal conditions(still havent seen ideal conditions...EVER..lol) junk ammo and factory rifle...gun hasnt even had the trigger done yet...that alone will shrink a group!

im happy with it...shot 4 more chucks with it today...

love the new scope...and the rifle...made a dang fine groundhog rifle....
Old 07-01-2007, 07:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nice rig!