Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
muzzleloading... >

muzzleloading...

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

muzzleloading...

Old 12-22-2002, 03:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default muzzleloading...

anybody use a flintlock? im thinking about buying one this year mainly just for a new challenge...my state you can use a inline in a doe hunt in october and a flintlock after christmas for buck or doe for like 3 weeks or so...i decided if i do start to get a flintlock..one of the newer ones like the tradition or something like that...and i plan on bow hunting next year too but my focus after my first deer with a bow is going to be nice bucks only saving my doe tags for rifle season and muzzle loader if needed..but i think i will carry the muzzle loader in rifle season next year because my shots in my hole are usually under 50yds and blasting them with a 30-06 isnt so fun anymore... and im not old enough to carry a pistol so a muzzleloader will be a fun twist i think...then if i still have doe tags left i can muzzleloader hunt after xmas...this way i have 3 weapons for deer and 3 seasons to fill my tags...anybody use a flintlock and able to tell me a good one to look at? would it be a beter idea to buy a kit rifle that comes with it all or a possibles belt pack from cabelas thats fully loaded already...or maybe buy a kit rifle and find out what comes with it thats junk and i want better ones of and can get better and then buy the empty belt pack..i duno..thanx alot

Old 12-23-2002, 02:00 PM

Default RE: muzzleloading...

I've had a TC Renagade for quite some time. Initially it was percussion, but then I bought the extra lock and breech plug so I could use it as a rock lock. At the time there was a guy who built custom flintlocks in the area and I got a bunch of tips from him. Buy the BEST flints you can find. I think mine were synthetic but threw a huge spark. What ever gun you choose, take a small drill bit and make a dimple in the touch hole. This makes sort of a forcing cone effect and really helps ignition. Hope this helps.
Old 12-24-2002, 08:02 AM

About 20 years ago I was a teenager trying to get more days afield so I began flintlock hunting like you want to do. Back then they took your doe application from you for the general season because an unused buck tag is good for doe as well and still is to this day. Only the roundball was legal as well.

I began with a T/C Renegade .50 caliber and for years could never get reliable groups with it, patch ball or 370gr T/C maxis. So I sold it off very cheap for someone else to deal with.

Next I bought a Traditions Springfield Hawken .50 cal 10 years ago, it had a slow 1:66 twist just for the roundball. This flintlock was only $119 at the time and ya get what ya pays for. It was worse than a T/C. It has the shallowest rifling I've ever seen in a muzzleloader. It throws a ball in all different directions no matter what thickness patch or weight powders are used.I still have it hoping one day to find a better after market barrel.

Now for the last few years I use the Cabela's Hawken. It's one beautiful piece, very similiar to a T/C. Walnut stock and finely finished, I really like it's buckhorn sights with front bead sight. Made in Italy by Investarms, the same maker of Lyman's flinlock rifles at just $229. The first few shots with it straight outta the box was all the difference. It is how a rifle should shoot, groups just like a centerfire rifle, time and time again. This Hawken has the deepest barrel grooves of the others (.010&quot and I feel this is what makes it more accurate and can take more fouling. The deeper rifling seems to grab the patched ball or maxi that much better.

This rifle really shines when the 320gr .50cal REAL maxi's are used, (these can only be molded and not bought anywhere). I hit a doe with one last year and they have instant knockdown power with it's wadcutter shape.

It gives confidence taking it into the woods. It is the last flintlock I will ever have to buy, after making two mistakes in the past. I hope you learn from my experience with off the shelf flintlocks.

Looks like snow this Christmas eve, guess where I'll be with my Hawken these next couple of weeks :-)
Old 12-24-2002, 09:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

sounds like you are in PA 762mm...i am too...i really dont want to have to shoot a patched round ball and would like to shoot some of the newer sabots...one of my friends have a tradition and one has a TC firestorm...i think they both shoot sabots..i will talk to them and see...my dad kinda hinted around in a wierd way that maybe i will have one under the tree tomarow..i doubt it because he duno jack about them but i was looking at bow stuff and hes like you should try muzzleloading instead of that bow hunting stuff...i duno if maybe that was a hint or not..so far he kept me in the dark on my xmas present...if not i will buy my own after i set up the bow and get that moving...

Old 12-24-2002, 10:26 AM

Yup, I live near Gettysburg PA. Starting when I was 12 years old, mom would buy me percussion CVA muzzleloading kits each Christmas. It was a step up from plastic model airplane building. Then I began flintlock hunting at age 16 with the guidance of an old WWII veteran I hunted with. It's something I kept doing 20 years later, aside from all the other guns I collected along the way. Muzzleloading is shooting in it's simplest form. One shot one kill. You only get one chance and you have to make it count. You hold your shot for the best opportunity. I even find myself doing this with a bolt action in my hand and it has made me a better shooter and hunter.

Like I had said before, the rifling twist rate will determine what you can accurately shoot, each bullet style has different needs, especially those sabot and powerbelts. Maxi's are also quick to load and will usually weigh twice that of a patched roundball for more impact energy. My rifle shows me it prefers the 320gr REAL, so when it's happy, I'm happy :-)

You'll have all next year to experiment with different bullets and powder charge weights, then find the maximum distance you can always be accurate at with those open sights. I find it's around 75 yards and closer. My actual shots on deer are more like 40 yards average(flintlock and centerfire). Don't forget to buy that muzzleloading license by August 31,2003. You know what? I can't remember if it always had that deadline date.

I hope Santa is good to you tomorrow.
Merry Christmas!
Old 12-24-2002, 12:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

thanx for the info 762...im kinda glad i have a year to play around and get the money for everything..hopefully i get a job as planned in a few weeks and the money will be nothing to come up with..im going to be 16 and i hate making my parents buy everything...ive always bout most of my own fishing and hunting gear..i mean my gun collection is more from my dad i bought my mauser though..and some stuff but i like to buy my own when i can..im not sure why...and i too only load one round into the mauser and my shots are generally about 25yds...i think the first day of rifle season next year i will have my flintlock in my hands...a 25yd show with a 3006 isnt too fun...but we will see..if i still have my buck tag i will take the mauser just so i know it will go bang instead of loosing a buck because the flintlock didnt want to work...i cant wait this years going to be fun if it goes my way..going to start bow hunting and muzzle loading.. thanx alot...
Old 12-26-2002, 05:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

You can get a Lyman Great Plains Hunter model for about $300. It has the fast twist barrel for conicals. Thompson Centers are good too. Look on Gunbroker.com.