Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 sks accuracy >

sks accuracy

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

sks accuracy

Old 05-08-2007, 07:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: sks accuracy

I'd skip the mosin nagants as well, most won't shoot any better than the sks, and a lot of them have sights that are grossly off. For cheap accurate (actually very accurate as far as milsurps go) rifle, get a Swiss K-31. Wolf makes boxer primed ammo for them now as well.
Old 05-09-2007, 06:11 AM
Fork Horn

If your looking for an inexpensive rifle thats accurate and shoots the super cheap 7.62x39 cartridge check out the H&R line of single shots. In a good rifle the 7.62x39 is quite accurate I've made repeated accurate shots over 225yards.

I shoot a mini mauser in 7.62x39 and I love it, it's the gun thats inaccurate not the cartridge.

BTW-Wolf HP is still under 4.50 a box of 20. Doubt you'll find cheaper cartridges. With a good softpoint it'll double duty on deer as well.
Old 05-09-2007, 08:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Not sure which model my brother has but it seems to go against the posters here. He got it 10+ years ago and it seems to do pretty well. I've seen him pop crows at 100+/- yards several times on the first shot. He seems to like it for a fun/cheap gun to shoot. See if you can take it for a testdrive and see how it does if your interested in it.
Old 05-10-2007, 08:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Adirondack Hunter

how accurate is an sks? theres a store near me thats sellin them for $150 and id like one for coyotes, are they accurate atleast out to 200yds? if not what range are they good for
With ammunition loaded for the specific SKS, and with a scope on them, many are capable of 2" @ 100 yards. The worst feature is their horrendous trigger. There is at least one outfit that can redo the trigger to get a much better letoff.....

If you use cheapie ammo in it, most won't shoot too well. The Norinco SKS I bought for $80.00 shoots better than the Chinese military one I drug back from "Nam".
Old 05-10-2007, 03:34 PM

I will agree with the above post. I had one I paid $190 for when I lived in California. This was in the early 90's mind you.

When I first got it I was shooting cheap non reloadable ammo and using the stock sights. It shot OK, it was a fun plinker at 50 yards and sort of iffy at 100.

I ended up trying some different premium ammo in it and upgrading to a better receiver and used a scope. I also played with the trigger a little bit and it wasn't quite as bad as it was stock. It got much better after that. Like said above, close to 2 or 3 inch groups at 100 yards. Good enough I could take shoots at jack rabbits with it or do some non competitive target shooting with it at various ranges.

I couldn't tell you what brand it was or who made it though. I do know it wasn't used, so I don't think it was military surplus. I sold it for twice what I paid for it during the Rodney King riots. I sort of wish I would have held on to it now.

I had a Saiga AK in the same chambering a few years ago and it was the biggest POS weapon I have ever owned. I have shot short barreled revolvers that were more accurate than that rifle was.

Paul
Old 05-10-2007, 03:37 PM

Oh and I agree with the post about getting a H&R/NEF rifle instead. Except I would get a .223 or 22-250 rather than the 7.62x39 chambering.

You can get Stevens bolt actions pretty cheap as well, they are made by Savage.

Paul
Old 05-10-2007, 09:32 PM

They're fun to shoot. Not terribly accurate. That has been my findings.
Old 05-12-2007, 01:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

I havent shot my sks (yugo 59/66A1) for accuracy yet, but off a rest at 100 yards I can consistantly hit clay pigeons. My mosin nagant (1944 carbine) I have shot for accuracy and with brown bear 185 grain FMJ ammo it shoots just under an inch at 100 yards, with most surplus ammo it still manages 2 to 3 inch groups at 100 yards.

Heres a picture that was shot at a fast rates of fire with my SKS and some full auto fire with a thompson just for fun at 100 yards. Notice the grouping in the forehead that was with my mosin nagant 1944 carbine.

Old 05-13-2007, 06:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: HighDesertWolf

I havent shot my sks (yugo 59/66A1) for accuracy yet, but off a rest at 100 yards I can consistantly hit clay pigeons. My mosin nagant (1944 carbine) I have shot for accuracy and with brown bear 185 grain FMJ ammo it shoots just under an inch at 100 yards, with most surplus ammo it still manages 2 to 3 inch groups at 100 yards.

Heres a picture that was shot at a fast rates of fire with my SKS and some full auto fire with a thompson just for fun at 100 yards. Notice the grouping in the forehead that was with my mosin nagant 1944 carbine.

So that's where Bin Laden went! He's posing for target photographs!! Cool!! 'Bout time he got a job!!