Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

What should I get as a Turkey shotgun?

Old 04-24-2007, 08:47 AM
Spike

Default RE: What should I get as a Turkey shotgun?

I have the Mossberg 835 - will handle 2.75 thru 3.5" shells without a hiccup. Mine came with the bird barrel & slug barrel & cheek combs. Many deer & turkey have ended up on the dinner table with this gun without any problems. Very reliable & inexpensive gun. With the money you save going this route, you can buy an extra full turkey choke & limbsaver recoil pad (which I highly recommend). Just my 2 cents.
Old 04-24-2007, 11:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

The 835 may well be the best turkey gun ever that is not a 10 gauge, although it nearly is.

That said, I wouldn't rely on it for anything other turkeys, because it tends to hang up. But I have NEVER needed a second shot for a turkey, EVER.

For under $450, you are playing the pump game. So, I'd look for a BPS for waterfowl. They make a fair turkey gun too, but I prefer a shorter barrel for turkeys, and a longer one for ducks, which is why I have too many shotguns already.
Old 04-24-2007, 12:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

The Stoeger 2000 can on occaision be had for $399. I would strongly consider it as an option.

I had an 835 and I was not happy with it at all. It wouldn't pattern all that well with the factory choke, had the noisiest stock ever, and the finish did not hold up under real use. That paint job is paper thin.

On the other hand my Stoeger, has never failed to feed even light loads, was fairly spot on right out of the gates, comes with 5 chokes (including a working Full Turkey choke), and has a dip coating that is really hard to scratch but does if you really use it. The only thing I added to my Stoeger is Fiber optic sights. Also did I mention it is semi-auto.

Take a look at it you won't be sorry.

Tom
Old 04-24-2007, 01:33 PM
Typical Buck

I just use the factory turkey choke with my M2000. It has taken two gobblers this season already and this past Saturday put a yote out in one shot. Called tha sucker in to my turkey set up Saturday morning. Poped him at 30 yards and he went down on the spot. The M2000 + factory turkey choke + Remington Nitro #5's = one deadly turkey gun. You can also pick the camo pattern you want. Give them a look and you'll be impressed. They work off the same inertia reload system as the benelli.
Old 04-24-2007, 03:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would go with the Remington 870 for a pump and the Stoeger Model 200 if you go with the semi-auto.