Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 safe or not safe to shoot? >

safe or not safe to shoot?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

safe or not safe to shoot?

Old 04-08-2007, 06:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: safe or not safe to shoot?

I wouldn't have any problem using, as long as it looked in good shape.
I have a 12 gauge double that my dad gave me when I was 12 (1967) and a Remington 552 Speedmaster that I bought myself when I was 16 (1971).

Growing up in the country, where I could walk out the back door and go hunting, these were my "go to" guns until I was 25 or so. I bet they were used more in the first 10 years that I had them then most guns get used in a lifetime...In fact, I wore the sear and trigger out on the 552, shooting so much...Both of these guns get used each year, no problems.

Dang, I'm getting old too, I just remembered my Remington 1100...Bought it while in college, I graduated in 1977...So its better than 30 years old as well...Still in great shape.
Old 04-08-2007, 06:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

You can't argue with safety, but being realistic 30yrs isn't old for a gun thats been well cared for.
I have a 22 thats stamped 1933, and plenty of 303 brits show up at our deer camp, I think your big fear is steel shot thru a soft barrel.
I'd bet its fine for upland birds with lead shot, just check before firing steel shot at waterfowl.
Old 04-08-2007, 06:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

At 33 yrs. old, the way I do math would put it about 1974. I wouldn't have much thoughts about shooting that gun. Like has been stated here, if it seems to function and cycle O.K., I'd have at it. It's still a 'youngun'.
Old 04-09-2007, 10:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Red Hawk

Most likely I won't be shooting this gun but I was curious on what kind of feedback I would end up getting on this matter. My dad has a old shotgun that is about 30-33 years old (its older then I am anyway). It is a Browning Semi and its in fairly good condition(kept clean and well taken care of)but would it be safe to shoot still or no?
If it has been well cared for and has not been damaged or altered in any way, it certainly IS safe to shoot. It's really NOT very old - I regularly shoot rifles with heavy loads that are at least three times older than that, with no problems at all.......
Old 04-09-2007, 02:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

A friend of mine brought back a old matchlock rifle from Yemen and we shoot it. We arwe even planning on taking it out to shoot a doe with it next year just to be able to say we shot something with a gun that old. Most of my guns are at least 20 years old and they are as good if not better than the new ones. 30 years old is not old for a gun at all.
Old 04-09-2007, 03:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've got shoes older than that!

Old 04-09-2007, 03:29 PM
Dominant Buck

RH, when I was engaged to my wife back in 1967, she bought me a BRN A-5 at Sears for that X-Mas. It came with 28" ribbed barrel. Over the years I have bought a Plain 30" barrel and a Hastings Fully Rifled barrel, which is the barrel in the picture.

I have shot 100's of Quail, Doves, Ducks with it. I have also taken many Turkeys, Hogs and Deer with it. It still has all the original parts on it, including bushings.

I always cleaned it and lubed it after a day in the fieldshooting it. Hey, it's 40yrs old and it still shoots like the first day!