Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowfishing
 Safe to use original shoot through rest? >

Safe to use original shoot through rest?

Community
Bowfishing Everything from carp to gator to gar, from the rivers to the oceans; this is the place to share information and stories about bowfishing.

Safe to use original shoot through rest?

Old 04-20-2008, 10:04 PM

Default Safe to use original shoot through rest?

I am just starting bow fishing and went for the first time the day before yesterday. My problem is when I put on the roller rest it is higher than the previous shoot through rest I had on my compound bow. With the roller rest the arrow is angled up so I have to aim way above the sight window where it meets to bow to hit where I want. I had my bow previously customly alligned for me with everything set up and don't know how and would rather not have to mess with changing my nock point. Is it safe to go back to my shoot through rest with fishing arrows? Or is there a risk of the wire catching the rest and coming back at me?
Old 04-21-2008, 02:35 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Safe to use original shoot through rest?

I would go look for another bow. you dont need much weight for bowfishing, and if yo really want to do it, there are plent of used bows out there that you could put 150 bucks into, bow included, that would make great rigs
just a thought
Old 04-21-2008, 08:56 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: live2Draw

I would go look for another bow. you dont need much weight for bowfishing, and if yo really want to do it, there are plent of used bows out there that you could put 150 bucks into, bow included, that would make great rigs
just a thought
I agree because you're going to have to adjust the nock to get it shooting straight. My girlfriend just bought a good used bow for $40. It has a 35-45 lb draw, which is perfect for bowfishing.

Also, I wouldn't use my deer bow for bowfishing. You'll get it covered in guts, blood, and the worst of all in my opinion.........eggs. I can take the blood and entrails all day, but the eggs make me want to puke.
Old 04-21-2008, 09:10 AM
Super Moderator

Changing the nocking point is really pretty easy.

Hunting rests generally can't handle bowfishing arrows so I'd try a different bowfishing rest before putting your hunting rest back on.

There are a lot of them that are height adjustable. The bowfishing whisker bisquit and the muzzy fishhook rest come to mind.
Old 04-21-2008, 10:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

AMS Wave Rest
Old 04-22-2008, 01:01 AM

I went ahead and just moved the nock point. I don't have the patience to really enjoy bowhunting deer and havn't done it in a couple years, and don't target shoot much. But I love fishing and go several times a week and bowfishing seems like a ton of fun so I minds well set up my bow for what I will actually use it for. I have had some problems with the 65 pound draw weight though, especially since the carp are in a rocky section of the river. It seems to wear away the tip of the points and I lost a nock as well. But allot of my shots have been up to or a little more than 15 yards so the extra power is nice for those shots.