Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Safe to shoot?

Old 08-29-2006, 12:34 AM
Typical Buck

Default Safe to shoot?

I noticed a few days ago that right along the front corner of my lower limb on my Bowtech Patriot that the camo was peeling off. No biggie. When I got to looking at it closer, it was the camo film and the outer most fibers of the limb material that were peeling. Now this is a small strip about 1/16" wide right along the front cornerand about 4"long. It doesn't seem to be into the main limb material, just the outer fibers. It doesn't extend to the limb pocket or the forks, and it didn't get any worse after shooting it yesterday afternoon. I plan to get it checked out by Bowtech after the season here in WAand my Idaho hunt at the end of September, but is this something I shouldn't shoot until I get the company to check it out? The downside isI doubtI can get it there, back, and ready to shoot before season opens here in WA on Sept 8. My plan is to stop by the local dealer and have him check it out before I hit the range againon Friday and see what he thinks.
Old 08-29-2006, 04:32 AM

Default RE: Safe to shoot?

cut the strip out and then sand it down to where everything is smooth, and cover it with a little paint or something. you will need new limbs. it won't quit, but sanding will help. i got that from someone at bowtech when i was in your situation and didn't want to change the limbs at that time.
Old 08-29-2006, 12:24 PM

Get the shop you bought it from to get replacement limbs from BowTech. We're a BowTech dealer and I had a set in two days from when I called the factory with a similar problem. It only took me 15 minutes to change them out and didn't effect the tune of the bow at all.
Old 08-31-2006, 11:53 AM
Typical Buck

Just to update, I took the bow to the shop this morning. He recommended I replace it, but said I might be OK as long as I take a backup bow with me to Idaho. He said I could do as gibblet suggested, but it might not hold up. Since I don't have a backup bow, I opted to replace them now. He said he's replaced abouta dozen Bowtech limbs this month. Hopefully, this will be the last set of limbs I have to replace. I just need it back in time to fling some arrows before our season opens here in WA next weekend.