Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
New Gun , What brand do you prefer ? >

New Gun , What brand do you prefer ?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

New Gun , What brand do you prefer ?

Old 12-11-2002, 02:47 AM

Default RE: New Gun , What brand do you prefer ?

how much do you want to spend?

i used to be a remington man myself but since the late 90's they went down the hill wise on their parts and i think they are a cheap made gun now a days ( IMHO ). i would rather spend less than what remington sells for a get a savage.
but my first gun i would go to if i was you. would be a browning stainless stalker nice look to it. has a 60 degree bolt and has the slickest bolt i have ever owned.also has a tang saftey which i like better on a rifle. i get 1.080" groups through my browning medallion in 30-06sprg.
http://www.browning.com/products/cat...ss_stalker.htm

Old 12-11-2002, 05:04 PM
Typical Buck

You might want to check out the "Wal-Mart Weatherby" made by Howa. Nice guns and real shooters for real cheap.

Personally, I'd probably try the Browning A-Bolt Stainless Stalker.

Good Dogwork and Good Hunting
Old 12-12-2002, 06:14 AM

over the summer I bought a new Remington 700LSS in 300remington ultra mag and a Winchester model 70 Featherweight in 300WSM And I really like the win better it just seems to have better workmanship in it. the triggers on both sucked from factory but that wasnt big thing to have fixed. I looked at the win 70 SS synthetic and almost went with it do to fit and workmanship. many of the guys I know have went with the Savage they seem to be a Great gun fro the money now days.

3DNWV
Old 12-12-2002, 07:14 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 12-12-2002, 11:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

It's your choice, Tikka, Savage, Remington, Winchester, browning, Howa, ruger, sako...the list continues. By the one that fits you and you like. I was H#ll bent on buying a Browning Stainless Steel Stalker this year, but when i finally found one left and in the caliber I wanted...I opted for a Remmington Deluxe...WTF! It just fit me like a glove and I could not be more pleased with it. I have or have owned: savage, wby, win., rem., ruger, browning and H&R. You know they all worked, just some fit my needs and me better.

Old 12-12-2002, 11:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

My first suggestion would be a savage, they are probably as accurate as it gets as far as out of box rifles go, and for sure the most accurate for the money. They're pretty plain Jane, but I still think they look great, and they definitely shoot great.

If you're not interested in the Savages, but don't mind spending a bit of money, get a Ruger M77 with one of their skeleton stocks, talk about something a little different. They look really good, even if it isn't really functional. THey make great hunting rifles, I loved mine before I traded it for a blued/walnut M77. Only problem with Rugers is that they are a little overbored, so they actually need to be shot a couple times to build up some fouling before they're going to drive any tacks, but mine will hit washington on a dollar bill consistantly clear out to 350 yrds.

Screw the 10 ring, keep them in the zero!!!
Old 12-12-2002, 12:14 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 12-12-2002, 05:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

There are several well made and reliable guns on the market.Some are better then others like everything else..I prefer my Ruger's . Ruger Rifles and Handguns.Their shotguns are nice but a little to pricey.I've also had excellent luck with Remington's(older Remingtons).My first choice would have to be the Ruger line of firearms.Running second would either be Browning or Sako followed by Remington.IMHO the newer Remington's aren't what they use to be.Quality has slipped.

Ruger Redhawk.

Support the NRA...Protecting our Gun Rights and Freedoms is everybody's responsibility. Ruger Redhawk A proud NRA Life Member since 1977.
Old 12-12-2002, 08:15 PM

RUGER

ALL DAY, EVERY DAY,IN THE WOODS...
Old 12-12-2002, 09:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

Also check out the C-Z brand of rifles, everything I have shot and seen shoot has been super accurate, they are affordable and decent looking.

THE NRA, WHERE WOULD YOU AS A GUN-OWNER BE WITHOUT THEM.
GUN-OWNERS, UNITED WE STAND DIVIDED WE FALL.