Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 30-30 anyone? >

30-30 anyone?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

30-30 anyone?

Old 02-04-2007, 11:43 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: 30-30 anyone?

Sorry but a 30-30 won't kill modern deer. You need some kind of a Magnum for sure. I have seen modern deer(Kevlar Hide) just laugh off the sorry old 30-30.

Go for a Short Mag which beats the hell out of the OLD long Mags with no recoil. They also will drag your kill out and skin it.
Old 02-05-2007, 12:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: James B

Sorry but a 30-30 won't kill modern deer. You need some kind of a Magnum for sure. I have seen modern deer(Kevlar Hide) just laugh off the sorry old 30-30.

Go for a Short Mag which beats the hell out of the OLD long Mags with no recoil. They also will drag your kill out and skin it.
Heck James,
you could also say the same thing about the outdated 30-06. I just hope the deer don't start reading ballistic tables in magazines. Of course, if the deer poked fun at me sitting in the tree with my Marlin, he wouldn't be laughing long.

C. Davis

Old 02-05-2007, 06:02 PM
Boone & Crockett

Very true. The 06 is to darn old to be out hunting anyway. The 06, Something even older than me
Old 02-05-2007, 08:28 PM

ORIGINAL: firstshot

ORIGINAL: M77man

ORIGINAL: thunter4558

Have a marlin 30/30 good gun, go to the new hornady lever revolution bullet excellent. The guys on this site helped me out with my gun and ammo. Shot out to 200 yards to problem very accurate.
Cool, I will thanks. Heck, the boy is still young and he may not even want to shoot an elk or deernext year or the year after but I'm just looking to get him something that will help him get interested in the sport for now.
M77man

A Marlin 30-30 would be a good "starter" starter for a kid primarilly due to the low recoil. As a matter of fact, a Marlin 30-30 was my first rifle "way back when"..LOL.....however:

With Elk on the menu, you might want to consider something with a little more rangeand "umph" and yetwhich still has mild enough recoil for a kid to start learning to shoot.

I don't know how "set" you are on the 30-30 caliber or if / how muchyour "lever action"choice was driven by the 30-30 caliber decision. Regardless, youshould seriously consider 7mm-08 as the starter caliber for your Kid.

The 7mm-8 would provide significantly improved ballistics over the 30-30 and still provide extremely mild recoil. Many view this caliber as an ideal starter caliber for women/kids; however,it is also considered by many to be the ideal whitetail caliber, while at the same time having enough power to handle up to elk at reasonable ranges. The 7mm-08 is very similar to the 7x57 which has long been used to take a wide variety of Affrican big game including elephant. I don't see why it wouldn't work on Elk....LOL

The 7mm-08 caliber is very rapidly gaining in popularity and as far as rifles are concerned, just aboutall the major manufacturshave offererings in 7mm-08. I own two, a Rem 700 Mtn LSS and a Rem 7600 Pump. Both of these rifles shoot sub MOA. If you were looking to the Marlin lever action for its quick follow-up shot capability, you should give the Rem 7600 a look. Grices currently has a 7600 special run offering in 7mm-08. Go to http://www.gricewholesale.com/specials_7600.phpthen scroll down for the 7mm-08 offerering.

Here is a pic of mine:

As far as bolt actions are concerned, like I said above, just about every manufactureroffers something in 7mm-08 now. Here is a pic of my Mtn LSS:

As far as ammo is concerned, if you reload, there are hundreds of 7mm bullet types/weights/constructions available from light weight "varmint" bullets like the Sierra and Hornady 100 Grn HP's up to heavier "Elk" capable bullets like the 160/175 grnBarns TSX and everything in between.

As far as factory ammo is concerned, currently most offerings are in the 140 Grn weight range, which many consider the ideal bullet weight for 7mm-08. Even so, and although I don't hunt Elk, I would think that Federals Premium Vital Shock in either 140 Grn Accubond, Partition, or BarnsTSXwould work great on deer sized game and be more than adequate for Elk. Considerng the rapidly growing popularity of the 7mm-08, I would soonerrather thanlater expect the ammo mfgs to startcoming out withheavier bullet weight offerings.

Therehas been a whole lot of 7mm-08 related discussions on this and other sites. Do a search on 7mm-08 and see what others have had to say about this very popular, versitle, yet mildmannered caliber.

I think you will like what you find!

Regards

firstshot
-------------------------------
Make your first shot count!

Well, the 30-30 is based on the lever action as a good first place to start. Right now I am primarily hunting deer and he won't be 12 until next January so I am pretty much just looking for something he canlearn how to shoot withsince he wants to go hunting with me. I was checking out the balistics on the 30-30 and you're right, it's not enough for Elk. If he still wants a lever action, Marlin also sells a .308 which could be a good option. Our Elk hunt is 2 or 3 years away though, so the 7mm-08 may be the one I end up getting him for that. That Rem 700 Mtn LSS is a nice one!
Old 02-13-2007, 01:27 PM
Fork Horn

the marlin 336 or the winchester 94.The 94can get pricy because winchester went out of bisiness. i have never shot the winchester but i do have a marlin and its smooth and is an exellent gun
Old 02-13-2007, 05:00 PM
Fork Horn

I have both a marlin 336 and an old (56)Win. 94. I have nothing to say but good about both rifles. The Win. is quite a bit lighter , hence easier to carry and I use the open sights on it because of the top ejection. The Marlin ,while heavier , allows me to the top mount the scope. Both are fine for a young man IMO.
NY
Old 02-13-2007, 08:11 PM

i love my 30-30
Old 02-20-2007, 07:42 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: James B

Them old antique deer would go down just fine from a 30/30 a couple hudred years ago.

LMAO @ this post.
Old 02-20-2007, 09:14 PM

I have a Westernfield 30-30 made by Marlin. Fun gun to shoot!
I wouldn't try elk personally, but, who knows with the LeverEvolution.
I have not checked those out yet. I am a reloader and am hoping that in the next few years Hornady sells the projectiles.

Old 02-20-2007, 09:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Either the Marlin 336 or the Winchester 94 would be a great gun for your son to learn on. My son who will be 14 in a couple of days has a Marlin and loves it. We have been reloading together for him and my Marlin 44 and it is great time together. We are going to start casting our own bullets soon to help keep plinking costs down. Gosh, if anything the deer have gotten more wimpy in my area. Its getting harder and harder to find a deer with good size horns or weight on him anymore.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.