Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 30-30 anyone? >

30-30 anyone?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

30-30 anyone?

Old 02-21-2007, 07:40 AM

Default RE: 30-30 anyone?

If your looking at just deer the marlin is a great way to go. I know lots of folks don't like the cross bolt safety on the newer guns but it has its uses. It makes unloading the gun a little safer and it useful for treestand hunting.

I know its a unlikely situation but an exposed hammer lever action droped from a distance on its butt is dangerous. The impact can bring the hammer and trigger back and fire the rifle. (had a friend who fell asleep in his treestand.) and worse is the muzzle is pointed up. So the cross bolt has some use in this instance.

The 30/30 is a great cartridge for about 90% of the deer hunting and its a classic as well. The marlins and winnys tend to be slightly smaller in the butt than do most full size bolt guns and that makes them a good choice for am 12 year old.

However, if you reload another bolt or Single shot is a more flexible choice. In most good dual use cartridges like 308, 7-08, 280 etc if you start with a light load using a light for caliber bullet (just the starting load in a manual) you will have a gun with very light recoil and just fine for deer. Once he is a little bigger ( or more of head strong teenager) just switch back to a more normal load and elk is on the menu).

If your 12 year old is a little small for a fullsize gun. You either buy a youth model noew and a fullsize stock later. or buy the fullsize now and a inexpensive youth stock like a ramline (make sure ramline makes a youth before you choose the rifle)

Old 02-21-2007, 07:49 AM

ORIGINAL: NoKnees

If your looking at just deer the marlin is a great way to go. I know lots of folks don't like the cross bolt safety on the newer guns but it has its uses. It makes unloading the gun a little safer and it useful for treestand hunting.

I know its a unlikely situation but an exposed hammer lever action droped from a distance on its butt is dangerous. The impact can bring the hammer and trigger back and fire the rifle. (had a friend who fell asleep in his treestand.) and worse is the muzzle is pointed up. So the cross bolt has some use in this instance.

The 30/30 is a great cartridge for about 90% of the deer hunting and its a classic as well. The marlins and winnys tend to be slightly smaller in the butt than do most full size bolt guns and that makes them a good choice for am 12 year old.

However, if you reload another bolt or Single shot is a more flexible choice. In most good dual use cartridges like 308, 7-08, 280 etc if you start with a light load using a light for caliber bullet (just the starting load in a manual) you will have a gun with very light recoil and just fine for deer. Once he is a little bigger ( or more of head strong teenager) just switch back to a more normal load and elk is on the menu).

If your 12 year old is a little small for a fullsize gun. You either buy a youth model noew and a fullsize stock later. or buy the fullsize now and a inexpensive youth stock like a ramline (make sure ramline makes a youth before you choose the rifle)

I know that some of the Vangaurds come with a youth and an adult size stock. My uncle bought one for his 13 yo grandson in 7mm-08, and he, my uncle, took an elk with it this year. I hope the 13 yo gets to shoot it as much as he does!! They both love it!

Old 03-02-2007, 11:05 PM
Banned

Browning Micro-Hunter A-Bolt in 7-08.

Pricey, but a beautiful gun, lightweight, a gun that will last him a lifetime.
I don't like the idea of starting youngsters out with a lever action with half-cock safety (that's the hunter safety instrut. coming out of me).
And I have to concure with First-shot on the choice of caliber. One of my hunting buds shoots this caliber and I've had caliber envy for sometime now.

VTgao
Old 03-02-2007, 11:58 PM
EKM
Typical Buck

Your plan to use the 30-30 for a kids gun has merit....
It is an okay place for a kid to starthunting deer in close quarters.

From your description, I think the elk will be safe.
Old 03-11-2007, 04:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

I started my first son on a Marlin 30-30 (336A) and it has been a good dependable gun for the last few years. I just posted on this site asking about the 7-08 as a first gun for my second son and the responses have been very possitive. Toss up...I guess it may come down to the action that he would perfer.