Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 30-30 anyone? >

30-30 anyone?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

30-30 anyone?

Old 02-03-2007, 03:57 PM

Default RE: 30-30 anyone?

ORIGINAL: il coyote

Marlin makes a fine 30-30. I bought one as the first rifle I could legally purchase on my own. Sadly, IL is a shotgun deer state, so it doesn't get much use outside of target practice.

Also, the design seems like it would work pretty well on a smaller framed person.
Perfect, their website also lists a .308 lever action available in 2007. I will definately have to look into these. Besides, it will be break from the monateny of my bolt action craze that I have going on right now also.
Old 02-03-2007, 03:59 PM

ORIGINAL: Rebel Hog

Nice pic Rebel, I think the kid will like it. Thanks for sharing.
Old 02-03-2007, 04:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a 336A Marlin but no scope,just good old open sites........
I hear winchester is going down,I mean over sea's now.O-well.....Go Marlin.
Old 02-03-2007, 05:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: ranger56528
I have a 336A Marlin but no scope,just good old open sites........
Sounds just like mine. I have an old Marlin 30AS 30-30 without a scope and use the plain iron sights on it. I LOVE IT!!!!

I hear winchester is going down,I mean over sea's now.O-well.....Go Marlin.
Winchester is still around, but no longer make the 94 and model 70. [>:] Marlin has been around just as long, and IMHO, builds a stronger, more rugged, 30-30. But yet, the Winchester 94 has the "vibe factor" and the classic looks that no other rifle has.

Butch A.
Old 02-03-2007, 05:44 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: M77man

Perfect, their website also lists a .308 lever action available in 2007. I will definately have to look into these.
NEW 308MX

Old 02-03-2007, 05:45 PM
Fork Horn

Nice rifles except for the scope rings.....I absolutely HATE see through scope rings!!!! [:'(]
Old 02-03-2007, 05:50 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Rebel Hog

Nice pic Rebel, I think the kid will like it. Thanks for sharing.
M77, the winchester is a late 60's model and has no Cross Bolt Safety and is all Steal! Untill 1963 they were Cast Metal.
Old 02-04-2007, 05:40 AM

I would also vote for the Marlin. It has a strong action and a flat top so it is very easy to mount a scope. I don't know about where you are but around me after Winchester said they were stopping production of the Model 94 the price of any Model 94 has jumped alot as collectors started buying them all. No price change for old Marlins.
Old 02-04-2007, 06:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have been bidding on a Marlin 336Y "Spikehorn" 30-30 for my daughter and had to stay up to 1 AM to see if I won. I DID! I don't know exactly when they were made, but they are hard to find and usually pricey. My daughter is only 18 months old, but I am counting on her wanting to hunt like her brothers (15 and 13). My wife thinks that I am crazy for buying the gun, but what is new.
Old 02-04-2007, 10:50 AM

ORIGINAL: thunter4558

Have a marlin 30/30 good gun, go to the new hornady lever revolution bullet excellent. The guys on this site helped me out with my gun and ammo. Shot out to 200 yards to problem very accurate.
Cool, I will thanks. Heck, the boy is still young and he may not even want to shoot an elk or deernext year or the year after but I'm just looking to get him something that will help him get interested in the sport for now.
M77man

A Marlin 30-30 would be a good "starter" starter for a kid primarilly due to the low recoil. As a matter of fact, a Marlin 30-30 was my first rifle "way back when"..LOL.....however:

With Elk on the menu, you might want to consider something with a little more rangeand "umph" and yetwhich still has mild enough recoil for a kid to start learning to shoot.

I don't know how "set" you are on the 30-30 caliber or if / how muchyour "lever action"choice was driven by the 30-30 caliber decision. Regardless, youshould seriously consider 7mm-08 as the starter caliber for your Kid.

The 7mm-8 would provide significantly improved ballistics over the 30-30 and still provide extremely mild recoil. Many view this caliber as an ideal starter caliber for women/kids; however,it is also considered by many to be the ideal whitetail caliber, while at the same time having enough power to handle up to elk at reasonable ranges. The 7mm-08 is very similar to the 7x57 which has long been used to take a wide variety of Affrican big game including elephant. I don't see why it wouldn't work on Elk....LOL

The 7mm-08 caliber is very rapidly gaining in popularity and as far as rifles are concerned, just aboutall the major manufacturshave offererings in 7mm-08. I own two, a Rem 700 Mtn LSS and a Rem 7600 Pump. Both of these rifles shoot sub MOA. If you were looking to the Marlin lever action for its quick follow-up shot capability, you should give the Rem 7600 a look. Grices currently has a 7600 special run offering in 7mm-08. Go to http://www.gricewholesale.com/specials_7600.phpthen scroll down for the 7mm-08 offerering.

Here is a pic of mine:

As far as bolt actions are concerned, like I said above, just about every manufactureroffers something in 7mm-08 now. Here is a pic of my Mtn LSS:

As far as ammo is concerned, if you reload, there are hundreds of 7mm bullet types/weights/constructions available from light weight "varmint" bullets like the Sierra and Hornady 100 Grn HP's up to heavier "Elk" capable bullets like the 160/175 grnBarns TSX and everything in between.

As far as factory ammo is concerned, currently most offerings are in the 140 Grn weight range, which many consider the ideal bullet weight for 7mm-08. Even so, and although I don't hunt Elk, I would think that Federals Premium Vital Shock in either 140 Grn Accubond, Partition, or BarnsTSXwould work great on deer sized game and be more than adequate for Elk. Considerng the rapidly growing popularity of the 7mm-08, I would soonerrather thanlater expect the ammo mfgs to startcoming out withheavier bullet weight offerings.

Therehas been a whole lot of 7mm-08 related discussions on this and other sites. Do a search on 7mm-08 and see what others have had to say about this very popular, versitle, yet mildmannered caliber.

I think you will like what you find!

Regards

firstshot
-------------------------------
Make your first shot count!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.