Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 help on semi-humpback semi-autos >

help on semi-humpback semi-autos

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

help on semi-humpback semi-autos

Old 01-13-2007, 09:42 AM

Default help on semi-humpback semi-autos

I am wanting to getting adifferent duck gunbefore next season, Good Lord willing. I currentlyhave a Franchi 12 gauge 48al. It's a fine bird gun, but too open for ducks, screw-in chokes are not available and even if I had it done, I still could not shoot 3" shells (which I may want to do if I go to steel). I like the Browning Silver, in fact, it's just what I want, except for no magazine cut-off (handyif I see a goose coming), and I have heard that the bolts break and the dura-touch wears off. And they are at the top of the scale for what I want to spend. Anyoneknow of any other semi-humpback designs that are available in some kind of camo? I would go with another Franchi, but they moved the safety to the front of the guard, instead of the back. After30 some years of hunting with the safety in one spot, Idon't want to change now. Thanks, good hunting and may the Good Lord be your Guide.
Old 01-13-2007, 10:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: help on semi-humpback semi-autos

Have you tried looking on some of the internet gun auctions for a later manufactured Browning A-5 mag that was made with choke tubes..??..

Another thing to consider... I have guns with the safety in front of the trigger guard ( Win m12 and M59) and I have guns with the safety behind the trigger guard ( Remingtons and Brownings) and I have never had any problem switching back and forth at will, even on the same hunt..... You might adapt faster than you think you will..

Old 01-13-2007, 10:24 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 01-13-2007, 10:42 AM
bigcountry

I love the golds. In fact I have three of them. I also love the mag cut off and the quick load feature for duck. With steel shot these days, we need all the power we can get. Yesterday we limited out in duck, and we had some geese come in real low, and one broke off, we called him in, and I used the mag cutoff to throw in a 3" bb, and the goose litterly landed right on the blind. Never seen the bolt break you are referring too. I like matte black anyway.

Not sure where this hump came in. All three of mine have a smooth back on them.

I understand why you want 3" and screwable choke. Back in the day of lead, it wasnt' a big deal, but with steel, a good uniform pattern is a must.

My brother got a new silver a month ago, and its a different bolt design than all my golds. But seems smooth as silk.

Old 01-13-2007, 11:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Benelli's, of course. Their SBE and the newer SBE II.

But if you want to keep it cheap...pick up a used Beretta 390. It would take a stiff arguement to convince me that there has ever been a more rode hard and put up wet design that just kept on bangin' away! One of the best semi's ever, right up there with 1100s and A-5s.

Old 01-13-2007, 04:17 PM

Thanks for the feedback, guys.

Pygmy, the Franchi I have is long-recoil action like the A-5, and I am sold on the design. Easy to take care, and very reliable. However,the A-5 has what Ibelieve I haveheard referred to as a "humpback" design. The Franchi's back of the receiver is not as tall as the A-5, and is I think is considered the "semi" humpback design. That's what I am looking for. But your suggestion that I would probably getused to the new location of the safety is probably correct. I just kind of hate to change, but if I would, I could go to the Franchi 912, whichispretty low priced for a 3.5" gun.

CMA,I had just heard on other sites that there is a problem with the bolt breaking on the Silvers, which I thought just came out recently. That's my concern. That would probably be my gun of choiceif it works OK. It is a fine looking gun. Browning also makes a Classic in Gold that looks like a Franchi design, but only in black and regular wood. I really want camo, may be the last gun I buy for myself. But thanks for the suggestions about the wear and all, and the positive feedback on the golds.

Big, glad to hear your brother likes the Silver. Again, that would be my choice if the boltsare OK. The hump came into question because that's what I am looking for. You're right, almost all golds are roundedat the receiver, except for the classics. Glad to hear yours are working well, may have to consider a Gold Classic ($100 rebate too on Golds)

Swamp, the SBE II would definitely be the way to go if money were no object, or maybe a used standard Black Eagle. They are just alot of dough. But the 390 might be the hot tip. I've heard alot of good about them. Do they have the magazine cut-off feature? Do you know if they have a camo version? I think I saw 390's (or 391's) at Wal-Mart in black,are they the same gun?

Thanks again everybody, I really appreciate your help. May God bless you all.
Old 01-14-2007, 09:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: fishnfan

Swamp, the SBE II would definitely be the way to go if money were no object, or maybe a used standard Black Eagle. They are just alot of dough. But the 390 might be the hot tip. I've heard alot of good about them. Do they have the magazine cut-off feature? Do you know if they have a camo version? I think I saw 390's (or 391's) at Wal-Mart in black,are they the same gun?
Fish:

I do not recall ever seeing a 390 in cammo. That of course certainly is not to say Beretta didn't make them, I just can't recollect seeing one personally. Having a black one dipped is a $150 option, but by the time the ducks notice...it will be too late anyway.

You are right about that Beretta you saw in Wal-Mart, it is both a 390 and a 391. Itis called the 3901 (which is why you couldn't remember probably...who could!), and the model is probably the Citizen or the Statesmen or something like that. They are essentially upgraded 390s, made with some leftover 390 parts and the rest 391 parts. Very very good guns that can often be picked up for cheap...and they shoot just like the rest of them. If the wal-mart near you is quitting with guns and running a sale...hell buy'em up! Although you'll only ever need one.

I saw a few 390s in my local shop yesterday. Running in the $600 range. One was litterally unfired. But, the used SBE I's were $5 less than a used SBEII, which made no sense. But this shop makes its money on used guns, and that ain't no secret.

Swing'em all...and take the best one for you. Any of the Beretta's will go for a long time.
Old 01-15-2007, 07:09 PM

Swamp Collie, thanks for the info. I have seen the blackBerettas at Wal-Mart before, and they look good. Are they gas or recoil operated? I never have been real crazy about the Beretta designs in semis except for this model. Have any idea what they weigh? There is a Wal-Mart about 40 minutes from here that supposedly still carries guns. I used to stare at the Remington Sportsman 1187 in camo at our local Wal-Mart, but they did away with everything but muzzleloaders. I sure with the Beretta was in camo. You're probably right, the ducks wouldn't care, but this may be the last shotgun I buy, so I want to get one I'll be happy with. After all, I've had my Franchi for about 25 years!

By the way, on my computer the picture is a little fuzzy, but what can of dog is shown with your online name? Looks like a golden...is he/she from hunting stock, I assume? Have any idea how they handle cold/icy water/weather? I've thought about getting a golden, but seems like the hunting lines are hard to find and pretty expensive, even for a pup.

Thanks for your help, good hunting, and may the Good Lord be your Guide.

Old 01-16-2007, 07:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds to me like you need to find yourself a Benelli M1 Super 90.
Old 01-17-2007, 05:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: fishnfan

Swamp Collie, thanks for the info. I have seen the blackBerettas at Wal-Mart before, and they look good. Are they gas or recoil operated? I never have been real crazy about the Beretta designs in semis except for this model. Have any idea what they weigh? There is a Wal-Mart about 40 minutes from here that supposedly still carries guns. I used to stare at the Remington Sportsman 1187 in camo at our local Wal-Mart, but they did away with everything but muzzleloaders. I sure with the Beretta was in camo. You're probably right, the ducks wouldn't care, but this may be the last shotgun I buy, so I want to get one I'll be happy with. After all, I've had my Franchi for about 25 years!

By the way, on my computer the picture is a little fuzzy, but what can of dog is shown with your online name? Looks like a golden...is he/she from hunting stock, I assume? Have any idea how they handle cold/icy water/weather? I've thought about getting a golden, but seems like the hunting lines are hard to find and pretty expensive, even for a pup.

Thanks for your help, good hunting, and may the Good Lord be your Guide.
Yes the picture is of a golden...or as we call them, a "Swamp Collie" (hence the name). I put a neoprene jacket on mine, and he does just fine. He is a real ball of fire. Lots of drive and energy, but he listens exceptionally well. Very VERY smart (almost to a fault). Goldens are great dogs. As far as one from hunting stock....if you have parents that do field trials, thats good enough. Its bred into them. Typically with the right training, and dog that has the instict to fetch will fetch birds too. Mine wasfrom good hunting stock...parent that hunted, andboth had field trial champion status (which is almost required anymore if you want to breed...just like cert. hips and eyes...which is even more important). I got mine for penny's compared to what they normally go for...because I knew the fella who sold me Dutch....I gave him the full amount the day I decided to get a pup, which was when Dutch was only 6 days old...and I gotfirst pick male pup. My girlfriend just got one from a kennel in Atlanta...her Dad gave it to her for Christmas/graduation from Clemson. He paid $1200 for her. She (the girlfriend) noticed that her dog wouldn't run right at toys or anything she threw for her...turns out thedog was blind in the left eye....sad story..but the kennel made good on it..and she has first pick of a litter that was born 5 January...so she will have her pup in late Feb...which is when I got Dutch last year.

The Berettas are gas operated guns. And yes they do have a magazine cutoff...or at least a way to unload just the shell from the chamber and not one from the mag tube. Weight is pretty light, certainly lighter in weight than an 1100 or 1187.