I have been through all of this with bows and arrows(different brands,tuning, shooting form,etc.)........but real weak in my knowledge of rifles and cartridges !! I am leaning..." />

Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Rifle advise ?? >

Rifle advise ??

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Rifle advise ??

Old 01-08-2007, 06:44 AM

Default Rifle advise ??

Sorry guys for all these questions..........but getting a2-3 thousand dollar set up has me worried !!
I have been through all of this with bows and arrows(different brands,tuning, shooting form,etc.)........but real weak in my knowledge of rifles and cartridges !!

I am leaning toward the Kimber Montana and will probably stick to a more traditional caliber(you guys have made some good points about short mags) !!

So what are the real differences between some of these :

Kimber Montana
Browning A-bolt sythetic
Remington 700 sythetic (nicer version)
Steyr Pro-hunter sythetic
Weatherby Mark V composite/sythetic

I don't think I can afford one.........but would stepping up to a HS Precision be "that much" better than above for someone like me ???

I will not be shooting every weekend ! I will 99% only bewhitetail hunting and most of my shots will be within 200 yards(but I want something capable of shooting good at 300-350 yards.....I will hunt some places that this is very possible) ! I want something with alight trigger like 2.5 #or so!! I want it to be durable/weather resistant !

I want a really nice rifle that I could probably keep the rest of my life......basically) !! Anything above or any suggestions would be appreciated !!

Old 01-08-2007, 12:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Rifle advise ??

Do you reload? The browning a-bolt has served me well. That's my personal choice. Bottom line is you cannot go wrong with any rifle that fits you and YOU can shoot well. In standard calibers,I lean toward the .280,but I handload. you should be able to use something like a .270 for 99% of shots on whitetails.
Old 01-08-2007, 12:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

If this is a deer only rifle?
I do not think you can go wrong with the Remington Model-700,XCR chambered in 25-06 or 270.
Old 01-08-2007, 12:46 PM

I would say that a .270 would be a great caliber for a deerhunting specific rifle. You listed some manufacturers that make good products and not likely to go wrong with any of them, so I would do some "hands-on" research by handling them and shooting if at all possible and then pick one. As far as lasting a lifetime, pretty much any firearm will last a lifetime if taken care of properly. You may end up needing a new barrel or something at some point, depending on how much you shoot, but likely little else. Good luck in you decision.
Old 01-08-2007, 01:02 PM

I don't know enough to buy a descent rifle.......much less re-load !!

Mostly just a whitetail rifle !

Is there any real advantage the Kimber has over the A-bolt ?? Is it mostly just a looks and feel deal..........or is there something mechanically superior about the Kimber ?
Old 01-08-2007, 01:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Remingtong 700, Very accurate out of the box and reliable. Can get in ANY caliber. Rem 700 SPS in regular or stainless is a nice rifle to start off with. The factory stock is nice but you can easily upgrade the poly stock for something better if you want. The SPS is optional in stainless as well for good corrosion resistance but both the stainless and non stainless have a plated actions for addiational corrosion resistance.
Old 01-08-2007, 01:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would buy a 270, 30-06 or even a 308 if I didnt reload just because of selection of factory loads available. I like the A-bolts over the other selections.For hunting, the stock that comes with these rifle's will be fine. All of your choices should be plenty accurate, you need to shoulder each one and see what feels best for you.
Old 01-08-2007, 01:30 PM

I THINK EVERYONE SHOULD DO THIER HOMEWORK WHEN IT COMES TO BUYING A NEW OR USED RIFLE. LAST YEAR MY COUSIN HAD A CUSTOM GUN ORDERED FROM HART WHICH COST HIM AROUND $3500 WITHOUT SCOPE. HE IS AN ADVET HUNTER BENCH SHOOTER FOR 40 YEARS. WHY HE WENT WITH HART,IS BECOUSE EVERYTHING ELSE WAS NOT TO HIS SATISFACTION MEANING ACCURACY. ONE SAT. MORNING WE MET AT THE LOCAL RANGE TO SEE HIS CREATION PERFORM. WELL THE BEST GROUP WAS 1 7/8 , CALIBER 22-250 WITH 26 INCH BL. SO AFTER ABOUT 2 HOURS, AND CLEANING THE GUN WITH DIFFERENT LOADS, I SAID HOW MUCH IF I SHOOT AND SHOW YOU A REAL GUN. HE SMERKED SAYING WELL LETS SEE COWBOY. FROM JUST A SANDBAG I FIRED 3 SHOTS MEASURING .26. I SAID HOLD ON LET TRY A FEW MORE SHOTS, AFTER 17 MORE THE TARGET WAS ABOUT THE SIZE OF A PENNY.DISCUSTED AND READY TO LEAVE HE ASKED WHAT I WAS SHOOTING. I TOLD HIM A TIKKA T3,WHICH I SEEN MY FRIEND WAS USING FOR COYOTE,AND THE TARGETS HE SHOWN TO ME WAS OUTSTANDING FOR A RIFLE TO BE SO CONSISTANT SHOT AFTER SHOT, THAT I HAD TO SEE IT FORMYSELF AND AFTER A LONG DAY AT THE RANGE,I HAD TO SELL MY TRUSTY 700 VARMINT IN FOR A T3. I HAVE A 22 INCH STAILESS SYN. 22-250,WHICH OUTSHOOT ALL OTHER GUNS MY FRIENDS HAVE AND ALL SWITCHED TO THE TIKKA.ACCEPT FOR MY COUSIN WHO IS NOW BROKE FINANCIALLY AND EMOTIONALLY FROM HIS NEW HART GUN. GO WITH THE T3 YOU WON'T GO WRONG.THANKS FOR YOUR TIME, JIM.......

Old 01-08-2007, 01:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

If you are looking for the traditional, walnut stock and blued action/barrel, look at a Remington CDL...Either 7mm-08 or .270 would serve you well for whitetails for the rest of your life....In this particular model I love the balance of the 7mm-08, being a short action, most of the weight is between your hands...Really balances well....

Scope it with a Leupold VX-II or VX-II (whichever your budget allows) in
3x9x40 or 3.5x10x40 and you will never need another...
Old 01-08-2007, 01:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

I AGREE WEAT!!!

CAN YOU HEAR ME NOW???????

Quick Reply: Rifle advise ??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.