I have been through all of this with bows and arrows(different brands,tuning, shooting form,etc.)........but real weak in my knowledge of rifles and cartridges !! I am leaning..." />

Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Rifle advise ?? >

Rifle advise ??

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Rifle advise ??

Old 01-08-2007, 08:24 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Rifle advise ??

Have you thought about a savage? I recently picked up a savage weather warrior chambered in 30-06. I too bought it mainly for a white tail rifle, but also wanted for large game hunting in the future as well. The weather warrior line comes with a stainless barrel and synthetic stock. With its factory accutrigger you can adjust the trigger pull to your fancy. I put a Nikon buckmasters scope with leupold base/rings on top to complimentit and after all was said and done I spent about $800 and have an accurate dependable multi use rifle that I am very happry with.

Just something else to consider... Happy hunting (for deer and rifle both)
Old 01-08-2007, 08:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with mossy!!!!!!!!! M77 .270 with some good glass and you are in buisness.
Old 01-09-2007, 09:01 AM

Researching this stuff for a week is enlightening and exhausting at the same time !!

I want a durable , real good shooting rifle , with a great scope on it !!

I am willing to spend some cash on one.............but after reading and reading......and reading some more....

I am wondering if getting a Kimber with a Ziess Diavari 3x12x56 would really serve me any better than a Tikka T3 with a Monarch 3x12x56 ???

Any thoughts ??

Sorry if I am all over the place........but that's the internet.......reading posts can change your opinion in 5 minutes or less !! [8D]
Old 01-09-2007, 09:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would stop asking and start shouldering guns. If you shoulder a T3 and hate it(like me) then thats not for you. If you shoulder a Savage or Rem or Browning and it feels good then lean that way. Whatever info you get here its mainly personal choice. All these guns mentioned will do the job you are asking.

Kinda like if you were asking what color sweatshirt to buy. We could argue all day which is the best even though they will all do the job. You would need to try them on to see which YOU liked the best.
Old 01-09-2007, 10:39 AM
Typical Buck

Steyr-Mannlicher SBS Pro Hunter in 7mm-08 topped with a Kahles 3-10x50 Helia CL Riflescope. This combo will set you back about $2,000, but you will have one of the finest, most accurate deer hunting rigs you can buy at any price.

Although I'd go with the 3-9x42mm Kahles, myself.
Old 01-09-2007, 12:14 PM

I looked at a A-bolt II today in a .280! Ihave checked out the ballistics since I got back and I really like it !! Salesman said that the A-bolt II's trigger was not adjustable but I thought it was..........can a gunsmith drop it down easily to 2.5-3# range ?

The salesman said they had been having bad luck with 700's this year(lots sent back for problems) !! So an A-bolt is probably going to have to be it....since the Kimber ,Steyr, and Tikka do not come chambered in .280(at least on their web-sites) !!

Now I just need to figure out if I want a Ziess Diavari 3x12x56..........or maybe just a Monarch 3x12x56(they had a 2.5x10x56 in stock)..........or check around some more about a Meopta (??) !
Old 01-09-2007, 12:24 PM

Heck yeah that A-bolts trigger is adjustable. You can probably adjust it yourself down to 3 lbs easily. That salesman was blowing smoke. If not any gunsmith will adjust it for you for a 5 spot. The 280 is an amazing cartridge. It just so happens that my all time favorite weapon is a Browning A-bolt Medalion chambered in (you guessed it) 280. Buy that baby and let the good time roll.

Scope choices, Hum, I would limit my selections to three: Leupold VX3, Weaver Grand Slam, and the Zeiss. My all time favorite weapon wears a Leupold Vari-X III 2.5-8x36.
Old 01-09-2007, 12:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

My brother has had a Browning A-Bolt for about 25 years, has probably killed 200+ deer with...Its more than needed for our Southeastern deer, but it does a fine job...All he shoots are the 140 gr CoreLokts....Only problem I would have with a .280 is lack of factory loadings....Now....

On the scope...Go with a 40mm objective...You get a better cheek weld on the stock and a quality scope will gather all the light that you will need to hunt during legal shooting hours....Having your head closer to the stock makes you more accurate and the scope will "center" faster for you....

I have used a Leupold 3x9x40 VX-II for years now, and have to be careful about shooting too late...And, as you get older your pupil will not dilate enough to use the additional light of the larger objective scopes...In my opinion, the larger objectives are just a slick marketing ploy.....If you are shooting that late,
might as well pull out the MagLite...

Old 01-09-2007, 12:40 PM

I have a Zeiss Diavari 3x9x42 1" tube on my .6mm that I could pull off !! But I really wanted something with more light gathering.........I know.....I know......mine does do as good as most people will ever need.........but these SC deer are hunted for 21 weeks of the year and after the first 2-3 weeks they come in at dark basically ( from the time you see them untill the time you can't see .......is about 5 minutes) !!
Old 01-09-2007, 01:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think the 280 you found will be awsome. A gunsmith can adjust that trigger for you.
I own Swarovski binos & a Swarovski spotting scope.
I can tell you that optics made from Swarovski, Leica & Zeiss cost more, because they are worth it.
If you want a low light scope, pick one from Zeiss, Leica or Swarovski. Look at there high end models with a 30mm. tube and variable powers that range from 3x12x56mm. or 2.5x10x56mm.

Good luck hunting,

WK

Quick Reply: Rifle advise ??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.