I have been through all of this with bows and arrows(different brands,tuning, shooting form,etc.)........but real weak in my knowledge of rifles and cartridges !! I am leaning..." />

Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Rifle advise ?? >

Rifle advise ??

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Rifle advise ??

Old 01-08-2007, 01:47 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Rifle advise ??

CBM,
It sounds like your going into this blind.
I don't know enough to buy a descent rifle.......much less re-load !! Mostly just a whitetail rifle !
I have spent the past month anda half researching every aspect of purchasing a rifle from recoil tables to rifle styles. I have a notebook that I have created compiling all of the articles that I have found dealing with various rifle and cartridge comparisons and I am still learing new things every day. I will give you 3 pieces of advice.
1) Educate yourself with various aspects of cartridges and their balistics.
2) Educate yourself with various types of rifle (shortvs. long actions) (stainless vs. blued) (synthetic vs. wood) (is the bolt made from bar stock?) (does the rifle use heavy washers instead of integral recoil lugs?) If you have a question about any of the things I just put up in () then you Do Not need to purchase a rifle yet.
3) Feel and use (if possible) as many rifles as you can find to decide your taste.

Two great resources on the web are http://www.chuckhawks.com/rifles_index_reviews.htmand http://www.findarticles.com/p/advanced?tb=art

Do your home work and you will be well rewarded. Good luck.
Old 01-08-2007, 01:58 PM

I am trying to learn with all these questions !!

But with a lot of things in life........it seems like you can skip some learning steps by going ahead and getting the good stuff first !!
Old 01-08-2007, 02:05 PM

I HAVE A WEATHERBY MARKV VARMINTMASTER I PURCHASED BACK IN 78,THAT NOW IS ONLY ON DISPLAY IN MY LIGHTED GUN CABINET.I RECENTLY HAD IT APRAISED AT 4 DIFFERENT GUN SHOPS JUST TO SEE WHAT IS IS WORTH NOT ONLY TO THEM BUT WHAT IS ON THR MARKET SUCH AS GUNBROKER EXT.THEY WERE ALL WITHIN 100 DOLLARS FROM ONE ANOTHER. NOT THAT I WOULD SELL THE GUN BUT JUST TO COMPARE IT WITH SOMETHING ELSE. MY PET RIFLE WAS IN USE FOR MANY YEARS BUT IT JUST CAN'T TOUCH THE ACCURACY OF MY NEW PET RIFLE THE T3.
Old 01-08-2007, 02:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

WEAT...TAKE IT OFF CAPS!!!!
Old 01-08-2007, 02:38 PM

If it was only going to be a deer rifle then I would highly recommend the 7mm-08, .260, or a .270. However, if I were going to spend a couple thousand dollars on a rifle it would no doubt be a 30-06 or a .280 (unless you have absolutly no reason to think you'll ever want to take anything bigger with it). I would hate to spend that much money on a gun and then decide to go elk hunting and feel like I wanted something a little bigger. While all three cartridges should adequately take elk, I know my uncle and cousin went out west one time and the outfitter had a 30-06 minimum. Good luck choosing the rifle and I hope you enjoy it. I have never shot a Kimber before, but the ones I have handled felt as nice as I could imagine a rifle being. Other than that, I'm a big fan of remingtons and I wouldn't mind having that new extreme weather one they have out (if that's the kind you're looking for). I also know quite a few guys that shoot Ruger m77's and really like them (I do kinda like the controled feed and three part safety).
Old 01-08-2007, 03:08 PM

ORIGINAL: nchawkeye

I AGREE WEAT!!!

CAN YOU HEAR ME NOW???????

What was that? Can't understand you?
Old 01-08-2007, 03:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Kimber Montana
Old 01-08-2007, 03:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: CBM SC

I don't know enough to buy a descent rifle.......much less re-load !!
LOL!!! OMG that was one of the funniest things Ive read on here in a while. (At least you are honest) Have you considered a Ruger M77 in .270 or 7mm Rem Mag? You can get anice one for about $475 and put a nice scope on it and still stay under $700.
Old 01-08-2007, 05:06 PM

Thanks for all the help so far !!

I currently have a Steyr Model L .6mm .......walnut stock, blued finish, 2 triggers, Zeiss Diavari 3X9X42 1"tube scope (gun was given to me)!!

What I don't like : Stock is too nice for my style of hunting (I hunt thick stuff, climb stands...tree spikes...with my gun over my shoulder.....hitting limbs, brairs, vines,etc ) , I am also a canidate to sit for a while in the rain just in case......the finish is too nice.....I can't get home fast enough to clean it. My gun is light and short........and the 2 trigger deal sucks( the set trigger makes for like less than a pound pull....so you basically can't touch the trigger or it shoots.......then on the opposite hand if you don't set it and shoot it normal it has probably a 5# pull ) . So it gets tough to shoot at times.........I have always shot it good up to 150 yards.......but I have my good and bad days with it after that !! But very few times have I shot it under an inch at 100 yards (probably 1-2")

My new gun I definately want it sythetic and weather proof , I want something with more bullet variety and availability , I want some morenock down power(I have dropped a bunch of deerbut rarely does the bullet passthrough.....even with NP bullets.....some deer have been tough to track that ran 60-80 yards) , I want it to be accurate at 300 yards , I would like a single triggger at about 2.5# ,and I will be getting a Ziess Diavari 3x12x56 30mm tube scope put on it for sure!!

Old 01-08-2007, 07:17 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: CBM SC

Thanks for all the help so far !!

I currently have a Steyr Model L .6mm .......walnut stock, blued finish, 2 triggers, Zeiss Diavari 3X9X42 1"tube scope (gun was given to me)!!
NICE GUY!!

Quick Reply: Rifle advise ??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.